ASU water polo looks to continue perfect record at Triton Invitational

Junior attack Petra Pardi passes to an open teammate in a match against USC on March 1. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

Junior attack Petra Pardi passes to an open teammate in a match against USC on March 1. (Photo by Mario Mendez) Then-Junior attack Petra Pardi passes to an open teammate in a match against USC on March 1. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

The No. 5 ASU water polo team is looking to continue its perfect 6-0 season heading into the weekend.

ASU travels to San Diego to take part in the Triton Invitational hosted by San Diego. The tournament will be championship-style, with 16 teams taking part and the Sun Devils holding the second seed.

“We have a good chance of facing in our second game the team we played at the last tournament, Santa Barbara,” ASU coach Todd Clapper said. “It is a good chance for us to get started at a better plan, better pace. If we are fortunate enough to win both on Saturday, then we will most likely match up against Irvine in the semifinal.”

Sophomore center Alkistis Benekou and sophomore attacker Izabella Chiappini, who led the Sun Devils in scoring, will be pivotal in the weekend's matchup.

“They did a great job,” said Clapper. “Two great sophomores who are probably going to go represent their country in the next Olympic games qualifications, and hopefully the Olympics for both of them. They are special players for sure.”

With so many players hailing from different backgrounds, the team dynamic comes with some challenges.

“It has got some really nice advantages, and it has got some things that make it difficult early on because of the adjustment,” Clapper said. “Everybody comes from a different background. It just makes it a little bit more of a challenge getting everyone on the same page early on. Everyone is really working on it. They are all learning at a different rate, but they are getting it.”

Clapper is happy with the way the team is coming together, even with new additions.

“We had three new players that just arrived in January and so it was kind of their first action,” Clapper said. “They hadn't been with us very long, so we really saw them get better and more comfortable each game.”

Clapper is also impressed with the rate at which the team is progressing physically.

“From a tactical standpoint, probably a fitness level, we are probably farther along than we were at this point last year,” Clapper said.

The Sun Devils will potentially get a taste of some of the top ranked teams in the nation at the tournament, giving them competition and truly testing their abilities.

“We are starting to get into some top 10 teams,” Clapper said. “Last weekend we had some ranked teams, but we have a chance that if we play well and have success on Saturday that we are going to see some top 10 teams. It will get tougher so we will be able to tell where we are at, and how close we are to being an NCAA championship contender.”

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or on Twitter @MarcTSteiner.

×