Timeless or Timed-out

We’ve seen the vintage “Gone With the Wind” movie posters and have most likely heard a famous line or two from the picture uttered in our day to day lives. Based on the poster and general synopsis, I thought this picture was just another classic love story. Thankfully, my assumption was wrong, and this film is full of surprises.

The first huge shock for me was upon buying this movie was when I discovered that it is close to four hours long. Dedicate an afternoon to viewing this cinema picture to experience it in its entirety.

Yet, another pleasant surprise I found out upon my first five minutes into “Gone With the Wind” is the title isn’t based upon a long lost love, but is in fact a title inspired by the Civil War, which is the time period and setting of the novel and movie. The beginning prologue that flashes onscreen reads that the old south is a “civilization gone with the wind.”

“Gone With the Wind” follows the life of Scarlett O’Hara, a southern belle living in Georgia during the Civil War. From a historical stand point, it brilliantly showcases what life was like for white southerners during this time. When the movie first starts, Scarlett is a rich young woman living on a plantation and an object of affection for countless men. Scarlett however, confesses her love to a boy, Ashley Wilkes, that lives on a nearby plantation early on in the movie, despite Ashley’s plans to marry his cousin, Melanie. If the accepted depiction of slavery and female oppression isn't enough to remind you that living in the 1800s wasn’t the best, the marrying of cousins is sure to do the trick.

(Photo courtesy of  Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) (Photo courtesy of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)

On the same day of which Scarlett confesses her love for Ashley, she meets Rhett Butler, an opinionated, passionate and adventurous man who dares to say, “All we have is cotton, slaves and arrogance,” to a room full of white southern men all advocating for war.

These two men are the main love interests for Scarlett, and it is quite entertaining to see her pining over Ashley throughout the movie. Even through the course of three different marriages, the real story worth viewing is how she handles the war, as well as the utter destruction and famine within her town thereafter.

After the war, when Scarlett goes back to her hometown and realizes she has to fend for herself and her family as well as get her hands dirty and pick cotton, you can tell she is initially out off by having to do these unladylike tasks. However, just before the films intermission (yes, it’s so long it warrants an intermission) Scarlett stands in a desolate field and rises to the occasion saying, “As God as my witness, I will never go hungry again!” Sound familiar? I thought so.

Despite eventually marrying into money to become a rich southern belle again, Scarlett faces the death of numerous loved ones in the movie. Vivien Leigh plays the role of the strong willed Scarlett impeccably, despite the character's harsh conditions.

The plot of the film is history worth watching, and the film itself made history that is beyond worth acknowledging. “Gone With the Wind” won 10 Academy Awards, one of which went to Hattie McDaniel. McDaniel was the first African American to be nominated for an Academy Award and won for her role as Scarlett’s house servant and confidant. However, Atlanta was still largely segregated when the film was released, and McDaniel wasn’t allowed to attend the film's premiere.

This cinema picture earned a title of timeless this week, despite its long run time. Of course, there are a few moments when the movie hits a lull, but overall it is a brilliant insight into history with a complex love story of a daring woman woven beautifully.

Tell the reporter what you thought of "Gone With the Wind" at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @dpharias on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×