ASU gymnastics to send three gymnasts to NCAA Regionals

Taylor Allex

ASU junior Taylor Allex scores a 9.125 even after a fall on the balance beam. ASU lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015.

ASU junior Taylor Allex scores a 9.125, even after a fall on the balance beam. ASU lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press) ASU junior Taylor Allex scores a 9.125, even after a fall on the balance beam. ASU lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press)

On Monday, the NCAA announced that three members of the ASU gymnastics team were selected to compete in the Regionals competition on April 4.

Juniors Taylor Allex and Allie Salas were selected as all-around competitors and senior Natasha Sundby was selected as a specialist in the Norman, Oklahoma, region.

Allex will be competing against Gabrielle May from Illinois-Chicago, Lindenwood's Valeri Ingui and Kierstin Sokolowski and Southeast Missouri's Ashley Thomas.

Salas was selected as the region's all-around alternate.

Allex competed all-around six times this season and led the team in overall all-around scores five times, scoring at least a 39.000 all but twice.

Salas is in the Regional competition for the third straight year. Last season she scored a 9.775 on the floor and 9.750 on the vault. She scored a 9.675 on the floor her freshman year at that NCAA Regional.

In the individual events, Sundby was selected as a floor exercise specialist and is an alternate on the vault behind Amanda Stepp from Northern Illinois.

Sundby competed on the floor nine times this season and scored under a 9.800 only twice, proving it is among her strongest events.

A senior, this is Sundby's fourth consecutive selection to NCAA Regionals. She has competed on the vault and floor all four years and, in 2013, she scored a 9.900 on the vault an 9.875 on the floor, her best in Regionals competition.

This year's NCAA Regionals will be on April 4 in various parts of the country.

The Semifinals will be on April 17, the Super Six will be the following day and the Individual Finals will be on April 19. All will be at the Fort Worth Convention Center in Forth Worth, Texas.

Reach the reporter at mtquesad@asu.edu or follow @mitchTquesada on Twitter.

×