McDowell Mountain Music Festival celebrates 12th year with eccentric atmosphere

McDowell Mountain Music Festival

Troy Andrews, lead singer of Trombone Shorty & New Orleans Avenue, performing at McDowell Mountain Music Festival.

The Phoenix metro’s freest spirits and most vibrant personalities came out to play at this weekend’s McDowell Mountain Music Festival at Margaret T. Hance park.

The manifestation of the energy varied day by day, but the magnitude did not. There was truly never a dull moment.  Between main acts, local bands played on a smaller stage near the entrance of the park and even when there was no music, the festival provided a prime opportunity for people-watching.

McDowell Mountain as a whole attracted a notably diverse crowd.  Although it certainly seemed to appeal more to the under-30 crowd, there was no shortage of middle-aged attendees and their small children. 

Friday’s acts started the weekend off on an incredibly high note. Artists such as Robert Delong and STRFKR brought positive energy and danceable beats to prepare the crowd for the stellar headliners, Portugal. The Man and Passion Pit. Delong’s solo act had the power and energy of a full band, and STRFKR amplified Delong's energy with alternative dance vibes.

Portugal. The Man dominated the stage with a plethora of lights and smoke that was suitable for its performance. Lead singer John Gourley’s voice ignited the crowd’s excitement. The opening performance “Purple Yellow Red and Blue” created a nonstop upbeat vibe that continued throughout “Evil Friend,” “Atomic Man,” “Modern Jesus” and “Someday Believers.” 

The band incorporated a surprise element when they began playing Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall” and transitioned into their closing song, which was another performance of “Purple Yellow Red and Blue.”

The evening culminated in a sensational set by Passion Pit, who wooed an enamored crowd of devoted fans with old favorites such as "Little Secrets" and "The Reeling." The band also gave the audience a taste of its upcoming album "Kindred" with the song, "Lifted Up (1985)," which harnessed the band's signature pensive vigor as well as lead singer Michael Angelakos's impressively high vocal range.

Not surprisingly, the band closed its set with the classic hit, "Take A Walk," a jam which never fails to radiate good vibes and strong energy. 

The performances Saturday provided everything from saxophones to sitars. There was no escaping the magnetic gravitation toward the dance floor.

If you hadn’t heard of Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue before, you should definitely have it on your radar now. Troy Andrews, nicknamed Trombone Shorty, and his multi-instrumentalist band combine elements of jazz, hip-hop and rap into their music. The incomparable energy brought out the crowd’s inner groove. Some highlights of the set included a funky version of “Brain Stew” by Green Day and “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

Electronic rock duo Phantogram followed with an intoxicating set. Sarah Barthel’s voice radiated mesmerizing vibes throughout the park. It is safe to say this is a girl who can rock. The chemistry between Josh Carter and her was in sync and apparent from the opening song, “Nothing But Trouble.” 

From there, they made their way through the ebb and flow of their songs with “As Far As I Can See,” “Black Out Days" and “Don’t Move,” closing with the fan favorites, “When I’m Small” and “Mouthful of Diamonds” for the encore.

Thievery Corporation’s kinetic energy brought a worldly component to the festival. The band’s music is unlike any of the other band’s style because it uses a sitar and many different singers. They opened with “Face East,” a heavy, sitar-oriented song and continued with “Take My Soul” and “Lebanese Blonde.” 

The vocalist transitions kept things fresh and interesting as well as the genre diversity. From reggae to rap to bossa nova, the variety was endless.

Sunday’s vibes, on the other hand, were distinctly earthy and hip. Through rolling clouds of smoke, visitors could see paint-faced people dressed in animal and food inspired attire, swaying their bodies in time with the heavier beats and pulsating rhythms provided by the evening’s headliners.

Performer Danny Torgersen perhaps best summed up the energy of the evening, applauding the crowd’s “soul-er vibes and magical electrical impulses.” Torgersen’s band, Captain Squeegee, played on the local stage between headlining acts.

Oakland natives Beats Antique hit the stage at sunset, and adequately represented the diversity of the audience. It is difficult to classify Beats Antique into a single genre, which seemed to be the intention. The band's songs all included a heavy bass with varying degrees of electronic rhythms, but each performance was unique. They drew on earthy, tribal influences as much as they showcased the eccentricity of electronica.

One song included a vaguely exotic dance number, but another featured a giant inflatable “cyclops kitty” that appeared in the middle of the stage. Both thrilled the crowd. 

Widespread Panic’s sound was an alternative spin on classic country, which was very different than Beats Antique. Nevertheless, the crowd seemed very content to have them closing out the festival.

The number of small children in attendance on Sunday night was rather surprising. They all seemed to be having the time of their lives, as did the notable amount of guests who felt that the festival would be a great place to meditate. 

In some ways, McDowell Mountain was a standard American music festival in terms of the eccentric crowd and diverse artistry. However, a truly unique aspect of the festival was that guests were able to connect with each other through great music, dance and food all while supporting a good cause: 100 percent of the proceeds from the festival went directly to Phoenix Children's Hospital and UMOM New Day Center. 

Reach the reporters at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or rachelandrews94@gmail.com or follow @lina_lauren or @rachelandrewss on Twitter

×