Tempe Undergraduate Student Government appoints new USG Supreme Court Justice

USG Senator Anthony Zlaket

Tempe Undergraduate Student Government Sen. Anthony Zlaket speaks at a USG meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2015 at the Memorial Union in Tempe. Zlaket introduced a bill supporting the creation of a new Human Event course geared toward international students.

Tempe Undergraduate Student Government Sen. Anthony Zlaket speaks at a USG meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2015 at the Memorial Union in Tempe. Zlaket introduced a bill supporting the creation of a new Human Event course geared toward international students. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Tempe Undergraduate Student Government Sen. Anthony Zlaket speaks at a USG meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2015 at the Memorial Union in Tempe. Zlaket, a candidate for Tempe USG president, didn't vote to confirm a new Supreme Court justice. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Tempe Undergraduate Student Government appointed a new USG Supreme Court Justice during its meeting Tuesday.

Senate Bill 73, introduced by College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Sen. John Oyas, appointed political science senior Jordan Brunner as a USG Supreme Court Justice.

The Supreme Court, which consists of five members, rules on issues involving the USG constitution and inter-campus disputes. It also issues judgment on disputes that come up during the USG election season, which began Tuesday.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Sen. Issac Miller and Ira A. Fulton Sen. Anthony Zlaket, who are both running for Tempe USG President, chose not to participate in the vote.

W. P. Carey Sen. Christopher Hollman also abstained from the vote, in regard to a case of his which is currently being heard by the Supreme Court. Hollman launched a campaign for a USG executive ticket Tuesday but is not listed as a recognized candidate.

“I have always had a love for the law,” Brunner said. “I’ve taken part in mock trials through high school and I currently take two law classes at ASU.”

Editors Note: Brunner is an opinion columnist for The State Press, but was not involved in the writing, reporting or editing of this article.

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or follow @SuerthJessica on Twitter.

×