ASU hockey coach Greg Powers: Sun Devils will play games at Gila River Arena

Says ASU will play 'as many as we can' in Glendale

Coach Greg Powers speaks to the media about the hockey team’s win over Delaware. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

ASU hockey will play games at Gila River Arena in Glendale during the 2015-16 season, coach Greg Powers confirmed in a video interview with Sun Devil Athletics Wednesday.

ASU, who has already said they will play home games at a renovated Oceanside Ice Arena in 2015-16, will reportedly open its 2015-16 season at Gila River Arena against Arizona on Oct. 3.

Powers confirmed that ASU will play games at Gila River Arena in Glendale in 2015-16.

"We’re going to play a lot of games out in Glendale, as many as we can, and let our players experience playing in an NHL in a professional arena, in a professional environment," Powers said in the video.

Powers also said that ASU will still play games and practice at off-campus Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe.

"The local facility that we have a mile and a half off-campus is being renovated – about $300,000 renovation to make it nicer and more professional when we do have to play games there," Powers said in the video. "Practice there, the players there will be in a first-class environment. (Athletic director) Ray Anderson and (senior associate athletic director) David Cohen have done a great job to get us in the best situation that we could be in."

ASU opens its season at home (location not confirmed) against Arizona on Oct. 3. Time of the game is to be determined.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×