ASU baseball closer Ryan Burr selected by Arizona Diamondbacks in 2015 MLB Draft

ASU's all-time leader in saves was selected in the fifth round Tuesday

Ryan Burr New Mexico
Junior Ryan Burr closes out the ninth inning against University of New Mexico at Phoenix Municipal Stadium on Wednesday March 18, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Lobos 4-3. (Jacob Stanek/ The State Press)

It's time for the Arizona Diamondbacks to #Believe. 

ASU junior closer Ryan Burr was selected in the fifth round of the 2015 MLB Draft by the D-backs Tuesday, becoming the second Sun Devil off the board.

Burr is part of the first Sun Devil draft class in the Tracy Smith era, which saw ASU eliminated by Pepperdine in an elimination game of the Fullerton Regional.

If he signs, Burr will leave Tempe as the program's all-time career saves leader, amassing 38 saves in three seasons for the Sun Devils.

Burr tied ASU's single-season record with 14 saves in 2015.

In addition to the 14 saves, Burr posted a 2.91 ERA in 33 appearance, striking out 74 batters and walking 25 in 46.1 innings while finishing second on the team in wins with an 8-2 record.

His stats make him the only pitcher in the country in 2015 to post double-digit saves and have more than six wins.

He was a three-time All-Pac-12 selection at ASU, including being named to the All-Pac-12 First Team in 2015.

Burr became the 11th Sun Devil since 2007 to make Team USA in 2014 after having previously been named to the team 2013.

Burr was previously drafted out of Highlands Ranch High School (Highlands Ranch, Colorado) by the Texas Rangers in the 33rd round of the 2012 MLB Draft, but did not sign.

Burr has until July 17 to sign his professional contract. If he does not, he may return to ASU for his senior season.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×