ASU football lands commitment from 2016 JUCO prospect J'Marcus Rhodes

Rhodes is the seventh commitment to the class of 2016

ASU football boom recruiting

ASU signals that it gets a new recruit with a "BOOM". (Photo courtesy of ASU athletics)

ASU football landed a commitment from 2016 JUCO cornerback prospect J'Marcus Rhodes Sunday, Rhodes announced on Twitter.

Rhodes was impressed during his official visit in Tempe Friday and announced his commitment upon his return.

"I liked everything about the visit," Rhodes told Rivals.com. "I loved everything that they have to offer. The campus lifestyle stood out to me, the facilities are amazing, the players are amazing and when you have all three of those - it's hard to say no. I expected it to be hotter and being out there I know I can handle the heat."

Rhodes is large for the position, with a 6-foot-2, 205-pound frame that he said coach Todd Graham would make him the "biggest corner he's ever coached" when talking to Rivals.

"The (ASU) coaches like my length and my ability to play the ball," Rhodes said. "They love my change of direction and closing on the ball faster than usual. Coach Graham said that based on my height and weight I would be the biggest corner he had ever coached."

Rhodes has two years of eligibility remaining, and held reported offers from Colorado, Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma and Utah, with additional interest from Baylor and Texas A&M.

Rhodes is expected to play the boundary corner position once he arrives at ASU, according to Scout.

Coming out of West Orange-Stark High School in Orange, Texas, Rhodes initially signed with SMU as a wide receiver before transitioning to defensive back and transferring to Kilgore College. 

Rhodes played in eight games for Kilgore College last season, recording 32 tackles (one for loss) with three interceptions and a fumble recovery.

Rhodes is the second defensive back to commit from the class of 2016, joining safety DJ Morgan from St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif. Rhodes is also the second JUCO prospect to join the class of 2016, joining defensive end Christian Hill

Rounding out ASU's current class of 2016 are running backs Tre Turner and Freddie Holly, along with offensive linemen Marshal Nathe and Cohl Cabral.

Rhodes told Rivals.com that he expects his commitment to ASU to be a strong one.

"This was my first (visit) and this will be my last one," Rhodes said. "...I love everything Arizona State has to offer, it's amazing."

Rhodes' official Hudl highlights are available here.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×