ASU football's Jacom Brimhall rewarded for his perseverance

After Friday's practice, the Sun Devils put two more players on scholarship

Brimhall 2

ASU football sophomore running back Jacom Brimhall goes through ball security drills at Camp Tontozona practice on Aug. 14.

With the day coming to an end, Friday's ASU football practice seemed as ordinary as any other during fall camp. For two players, however, this practice would become one they will likely never forget.

During coach Todd Graham's post-practice meeting with the team, he revealed that sophomores Mitchell Fraboni and Jacom Brimhall would be given scholarships for the upcoming season to the cheers of the entire roster.

The announcement comes exactly a year after the last time ASU put walk-ons on scholarship, which included redshirt senior safety Jordan Simone, who said the emotions of 2014 came back as the announcement was made.

"As soon as (Graham) started talking, I knew where it was going and I got the same feeling back as when I got it," Simone said. "It's such a great experience and it couldn't happen for two better guys."

Brimhall said that, since the school year started Thursday, he did not think he would be put on scholarship and the moment hit all of his emotions.

"It was everything you could feel put into one," Brimhall said. "As soon as he said my name, I started crying, I couldn't hold it. It was special."

Simone's sentiment was shared by the entire roster, as the whole team erupted in cheers when Graham named the recipients.

"I've got a couple sisters, but I don't have any brothers," Brimhall said. "Having these guys react like that... I love these guys and I'd do anything for them and for them to react like that, that meant a lot to me."

During Graham's tenure at ASU, he has given walk-ons ample opportunities on the field and has granted scholarships to many, showing every player is important to the success of the team in his eyes, no matter what the path is.

"A lot of the public out there don't know what these guys sacrifice," Graham said. "Their families and they made a big sacrifice and a commitment - and it didn't happen overnight - so we're really, really proud of them."

Brimhall agreed that the journey hasn't been easy, but it's been worth every step.

"It's certainly not the easiest road," Brimhall said. "But if you love what you do and you love the school, like I love ASU with everything I have, so it's always worth it."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow  @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like  State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×