Beer Olympics gives Jenga aficianados and cosplayers a chance to compete for drinking game glory

The event showcased skill and inventive costumes

Beer Olympics
People play cornhole at the Phoenix New Times' Beer Olympics on Friday, Aug. 21, 2015, at Tempe Marketplace.

Have you ever played Cornhole? How about Flip Cup, Giant Jenga or Quarters? Perhaps you’d rather get some friends together for the all-American classic beer pong and its many different styles. 

The stylish and varied teams and solo players of the Phoenix New Times' Beer Olympics found themselves surrounded by these games and more under a warm Saturday evening.

Corralled in a corner of Tempe Marketplace, the event offered a chance to play games typically seen at a barbecue or get together with friends. Live entertainment, food and the titular beverage rounded out the outdoor and indoor package.

Even before the gates officially opened, one could see the how minimally serious participants were taking the Olympics – in a good way. Matching outfits dotted the mildly convoluted lines. Some people were wearing matching Phoenix Suns jerseys, others in rainbow-colored light-up skirts and even attendees in shirts bearing the phrase “This Guy Needs a Beer.”

The event was styled as an “athalon,” with volunteers marking competitors’ bingo-type cards when they won a game. While no official trophies were given, the cards could be turned in for prizes based on how many games were completed (even if none were finished).

Phoenix New Times marketing director Jessica Hill said prior events held by the newsgroup Tempe Marketplace were designed to occur near the start of school, but the organization switched it up in 2014.  

“Last year, we decided, ‘Let’s change it up, let’s do something a little bit different,'" she said.  "(Tempe Marketplace) had the idea of doing an adult game night. So we came back to them with this idea of ‘let’s make it Olympics-themed.’”

According to Hill, costumes are encouraged, coupled with the headbands given to competing teams as well as medals for winning the games. The event saw a 500 person increase from last year, as well as a greater expansion of available games.

“The goal is to get a young crowd to come to Tempe Marketplace and have a great time and celebrate the back to school season, even if you’re not in school any more," Hill said.  

Live entertainment and  many beer kiosks with bottled IPA’s and hard lemonade provided a chance to relax between games. A right alleyway held down booths of Giant Jenga and quarters, with the Phoenix Suns street team working a festival-style basketball hoop.

A larger left alleyway held local Tempe Marketplace foods, such as The Thirsty Lion, and an even bigger game selection. Titan Beer Pong, which is the popular game played with buckets and larger pong balls filled a section of the street, as did Cornhole. Further up, players tried their hands at a giant inflatable skee ball booth and a stationary bike race. 

Anchoring the game alleys was restaurant Dave and Buster’s, who offered, aside from a much needed relief from the heat, a mix of events ranging from air hockey to the classic Daytona USA video game – all part of the Olympic festivities. Speed Pong populated the rooftop bar, and was easily one of the more popular events on hand.

An arcade version of the Nintendo game Mario Kart was originally meant to have a role in the indoor games, but was cancelled according to a volunteer. It’s safe to say that none were more disappointed at this than an actual group of Nintendo cosplayers, dressed as their favorite characters from the series to compete in the games.

Still, the group kept smiles on their faces, and owed their unique appearance to a bit of last minute planning. ASU graduate Anna Leisovich was dressed as hero Mario. 

“It was a really cool theme, but it was something that just came up," she said.  

Fellow ASU graduate Nathan McGowan wore the overalls and evil eyebrows of villain Waluigi, and another ASU alumna Katy Tipton was dressed as Princess Peach.

The group had played the titan pong and flip cup relay, and were looking forward to competing in and winning the costume contest. 

“That’s my favorite part, so I’m hoping we win that,” Tipton said.  

Near the Giant Jenga booth was 36-year old Shiloh Landolphi, a connoisseur of the game who offered a play-by-play as he and his team waited for their turn.  He said his specialties were in Jenga and Flip Cup.

“It’s all about strategy when you play Jenga,” he said, noting a team’s multiple hands that were moving too many blocks at once. “Eight hands, all grabbing the Jenga at different times, trying to pull them out – it’s completely ineffective.”

“There’s also not enough beer drinking,” he said with a chuckle.

Reach the reporter at djulienr@asu.edu, or on Twitter @legendpenguin.

×