ASU football hopes Saturday's game brings more success in Texas

The Sun Devils are chock full of Texans, but this weekend could be a step towards domination.

Redshirt sophomore linebacker Viliami (Laiu) Moeakiola strips the ball from Washington quarterback Troy Williams during the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Even though they never played each other before, the ASU football team and Texas A&M have many connections on and off the field. Both schools recruit each other's states heavily, which results in a sort of cross-pollination of talent we will see on the field Saturday night in Houston.

The Aggies have the last two top-ranked players in Arizona with freshman wide receiver Christian Kirk and sophomore quarterback Kyle Allen. Meanwhile, the Sun Devils have eight active players from Texas (plus junior wide receiver Cam Smith who is out for the season) all of whom are likely to play.

The most important Sun Devil from Texas, however, is coach Todd Graham who started coaching in high schools in his home state. Under Graham, this will be ASU's second game in his home state and it will definitely not be the last, as the Sun Devils have games at UTSA and Texas Tech in the very near future.

"I'm a native Texan, and proud of it, so going back there and competing, that's the reason why we took the games," Graham said. "You look at our future schedule, we'll be going back there quite a bit."

For the players, there's a palpable energy from those going home.

Junior kicker Zane Gonzalez, who grew up just outside Houston, said there's something extra special about this game.

"I'm just excited," Gonzalez said. "My whole high school goes to A&M, so it's like a hometown, just get to see everybody. To get to play in that stadium... It'll be a great experience for me and my family."

Redshirt junior linebacker Laiu Moeakiola, who grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, said it's important for the Sun Devils to keep a level head and remember why they're making the trip in the first place.

"I try to keep it cool, but it's exciting just to go back and be on the soil I was born and raised," Moeakiola said. "(The key is) remembering it's a business trip, and we have bigger things in mind and that's coming out with a 'W.'"

Both players said they are scrambling to try to accommodate their family members who want to go to the game with tickets, but it's hard considering how many want to go.

In addition to feeling comfortable near home, Moeakiola looked at the bigger picture and said it's in the best interest of the program to make these trips and show off what ASU has to offer to more people in the football hot-bed.

"It's another great opportunity for kids in Texas to see Arizona State and what we're doing as a program and how we're stepping up, becoming one of the best schools in the nation," Moeakiola said. "It's good for other recruits coming up now to see the program coming up on top."

ASU football amped up heading into season opener against Texas A&M

ASU football lands commitment from 2016 athlete Kyle Williams

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×