ASU football raring to go for Saturday's Pac-12 opener

The Sun Devils are eager to play USC

Sophomore wide receiver Cameron Smith celebrates as redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong catches the game winning touchdown against USC on Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014. The Sun Devils beat the Trojans on a Hail Mary as time expired to win 38-34. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

It's become clear at this point that ASU football coach Todd Graham is not a fan of out-of-conference play and he reiterated that sentiment Thursday as the Sun Devils wrapped up their padded preparation for their first conference game of the year Saturday against USC.

"I won't even tell you what I call the first three games because I wouldn't want you to write it," Graham said. "It's all about development... Everything I do is to get to Pac-12 play."

Fortunately for Graham , conference play has arrived and it's clear to his players, especially redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici, how excited their coach is.

"I think he's ready to go," Bercovici said. "If you asked Coach if we had to suit up right now and head up Tillman Tunnel, we're ready to go right now."

With two days remaining until the game, Graham said he's talked a lot to his seniors getting them excited for the game and making sure they understand the magnitude of every game from here on out.

"We've got four senior defensive backs and I was talking to them about, man, savor the moment, create the moment," Graham said. "You're never going to pass this way again, you're never playing in this game ever again. Man, I'd kill to play in it."

Bercovici said that Graham's message was heard loud and clear by the seniors.

"He does a great job of explaining to the seniors the importance of this, playing 'SC for the last time at home and it really does give you chills down your back," Bercovici said.

ASU football's offense looking to build upon foundation against USC

Jael-Mary: Bercovici's last-second touchdown pass shocks No. 16 USC

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×