ASU shuttles urged to avoid I-10

ASU shuttle 2
ASU maroon shuttle drives along Washington street along the light rail to avoid using the I-10 from the Tempe to the Downtown Phoenix campus pictured on Monday, Sept. 14, 2015.

After 11 reported shootings have occurred on Interstate 10, ASU advises shuttle drivers to use alternative routes. However, some students confirm that shuttles still take the I-10 when traveling from campus to campus.

These questionable shootings began on Aug. 29 at 11:10 a.m. when a SUV traveling East on the I-10 and 19th Avenue was hit by a bullet. The last reported hit was recorded on Thursday.

As of Sunday, Maricopa County Sheriff's Office's press release states three individuals have been identified and arrested for using slingshots to fire objects at passing cars. 

However, as the investigation continues, ASU shuttle drivers fluctuate between using the I-10 and taking alternative routes on surface streets to arrive at the different campuses.

Kineseolgy freshman Fernanda Parra said she feels uncomfortable with the thought of taking the shuttle running on the I-10 when the shooter has yet to be identified, but she also wouldn't change her mode of transportation from Tempe to Downtown Phoenix.

"I'd say I'd keep taking the shuttle, but if there is an incident, then I would take the light rail," Parra said. "(Thursday) on the shuttle that I rode on, (the shuttle driver) did not take the freeway, she took the light rail route. I didn't feel like it took longer."

ASU media relations said that ASU shuttle drivers have been advised to take alternative routes.

"Based on information DPS has provided, ASU directed its shuttle drivers to avoid using a section of the Interstate 10 as a precaution," ASU media relations said.

As ASU continues to provide the free transportation, some student accounts say shuttle drivers take routes that use the Interstate.

Sustainability junior Leslie Abrego is one of the students who confirms alternate routes are being used.

"I think it's fine," Abrego said. "I noticed they were taking a different route, and I think it's nice ASU is being considerate of our safety."

Students are alert to the possible dangers of shuttles driving on the I-10, but they also understand if the drivers don't use an alternative route.

Criminal justice and psychology sophomore Ashlea Mondoro is one of these students who do not mind whether the shuttle drivers use the I-10 or not. Mondoro said she rides the shuttle from the West campus, but she still has to ride on a shuttle that takes the I-10.

"I feel like (shuttle drivers) still take it just because that's the fastest way to get from place to place," Mondoro said. "Yeah, I understand it is dangerous now, but they'll catch them eventually. I think I'll be fine and if not I'll just duck down in my seat."

USGD funds downtown grocery shuttle, draws skeptics

New intercampus shuttle system shows promise

Tell the reporter how you feel about shuttle drivers continuing to use the 1-10 at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×