'El Grito de Dolores' kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month at ASU West

ASU's West campus hosts "El Grito de Dolores," the opening reception for Hispanic Heritage Month, on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015 in Glendale.

Flags from numerous Central and South American countries blew in the gentle wind as a DJ played old and new Spanish songs Tuesday on the West campus. This was the scene that debuted Hispanic Heritage Month with "El Grito de Dolores."

Members from the Hispanic Heritage Committee and the Changemaker Central initiative at ASU West were present from the beginning of the event. Many students wandered in to take part in the festivities and eat traditional Hispanic food.

“Any heritage month I think is just fabulous because we’re kind of opening people who might not be aware of something to a whole different culture," said Faith Ritchie, the advisor for West's Changemaker Central and coordinator for student organizations. "Kind of allowing that platform to happen in a fun, engaging atmosphere is only going to improve our student’s awareness."

Students at West have played a large role in bringing these events together, Ritchie said. 

“Hispanic Honors Society is an amazing group and I think that their input and participation has been wonderful… We really kind of focus on student driven activities and kind of seeing what best fits for our campus, but also our student population,” Ritchie said.

Humanities professor Ilana Luna brought her Intro to Latin American Studies class to the opening reception.

“One of my jobs as a professor is to also do service and part of that service is serving on committees so I am on the Hispanic Heritage Committee. Part of what we’ve done is try to think of ways to broaden the conception of what Hispanic Heritage Month is about … We really wanted to connect the work we’re doing in the classroom with the community,” Luna said.

Her students created posters about different independence movements and will display them in the library on the West Campus, Luna said.

Jenni Thomas, manager of community relations with the Office of Community and Municipal Relations, wrote in an email that the main event takes place halfway through the celebrations.

“Our signature event is the ¡Salsa-Salsa Fiesta! Wednesday, Sept. 30 in the newly named Devil’s Lair on the 2nd floor of Café West … Those attending can make salsa with provided ingredients … Afterward participants and an instructor will teach everyone how to salsa dance,” she said. 

Thomas also wrote that renowned artist Hugo Medina and his team will come to the West campus and draw a mural with a pan-Latino theme. 

"They invite anyone who wants to pick up a paintbrush or spray paint can to contribute to painting the mural," Thomas wrote in an email. "No experience is required.”

Reach the reporter at avcabral@asu.edu or follow @angeligagaa on Twitter. 

×