ASU soccer falls 2-1 to Utah in overtime

The Sun Devils allowed two late goals to a Utah team that hadn't scored a goal since Oct. 4 ​

Sophomore defender Madison Stark takes control of the ball against Oregon on Friday, Oct. 23, 2015, at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe.

ASU soccer came into Salt Lake City Friday night against Utah likely needing a win to keep their playoff hopes alive, but couldn't hang on to a late lead and fell in overtime 2-1.

The Sun Devils (7-8-1) put themselves ahead in the 75th minute when Madison Stark was fouled outside Utah's penalty box. Cali Farquharson curled the ball into the left corner and put ASU up 1-0. It was Farquharson's seventh goal on the season and second in as many games.

Utah (6-9-3) responded with a little over five minutes to go in the second half when sophomore Natalie Vukic notched the equalizer on a pass from senior defender Ali Allen to tie the game up at 1-1, the first Ute goal since Oct. 4.

Just 1:11 into overtime, Utah senior defender Megan Trabert scored the game-winning goal off of a corner kick. 

Her header went far post just out of the reach of ASU redshirt senior goalkeeper Chandler Morris.

The Sun Devils came into the night riding a three-game win streak that began with an overtime victory over then-No.18 Washington on Oct. 15th.

It was their first win since mid-September and ASU would carry that momentum into the following weekend. They outscored Oregon and Oregon State 4-0 at home, improving their record to 7-7-1. 

Friday night's loss puts them at 4-5-1.

In the 11th minute, senior defender Sara Tosti went up for a header and collided with a Utah defender. 

She was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week last week for her help in shutting out both Oregon and Oregon State.

Tosti has also been a key fixture on offense, scoring two goals this year. Tosti remained in the game for the Sun Devils.

The Sun Devils had chances to score early in the game. In the 24th minute, senior defender McKenzie Berryhill fired a shot from well outside the 18-yard box when Utah redshirt senior goalkeeper Lindsey Luke positioned herself too far away from the goal. 

The ball looked like it would drop in the net right below the crossbar, but Luke was able to regain position, leap up, and punch the ball out of bounds.

Luke was spectacular for Utah. The redshirt senior had eight saves on the night, the most important of which came in the final minute of regulation. 

Cali Farquharson deked two Utah defenders and created space for herself to fire a clean shot in front of the goal. Luke stepped up and knocked Farquharson's shot out of bounds and keep Utah in the game.

ASU put a lot of pressure on the Utes defense in the first half. ASU outshot Utah 7-3, five of which were on goal. Utah had their fair share of opportunities during the game's first 45 minutes as well with two shots on goal.

ASU would finish the game with 15 shots and nine shots on goal.

Utah came into the game tied for ninth in the Pac-12. The Utes had lost five straight games dating back to October 9th against Washington State and were outscored 7-0 over that stretch. 

Only two more games remain for the Sun Devils in the regular season. ASU will finish up the weekend playing Colorado in Boulder at 2 p.m. on Sunday. 

ASU's final game will be against Arizona in Tucson on Nov. 6.

Reach the reporter at Lucas.Taglienti@asu.edu or follow @ltaglientivevo on Twitter

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×