ASU women's golf finishes in 11th place at Stanford Intercollegiate

Sophia Zeeb, Women's Golf, 04-10-2015
Freshman, Sophia Zeeb tees off on hole five on Friday, April 10, 2015 at Karsten Golf Club in Tempe, AZ.

ASU women's golf team finished in 11th place at the Stanford Intercollegiate Invite Tuesday, hitting +34. 

The host Cardinal won the tournament, hitting -5 and beating out teams like USC, UCLA, Georgia and others.

The team went with junior Monica Vaughn, sophomores Sophia Zeeb, Roberta Liti, freshman Linnea Strom and Madison Kerley. 

The Sun Devils struggled against Auburn and Northwestern in the first round, hitting +15 and taking eleventh place as well. Liti had a toughest day out of everyone else, she hit +16. The rest of the team wasn’t as bad but weren't much better. Kerley led the way at -1 while Vaughn was +6, Strom was +7 and Zeeb was +3.

On the second day, ASU went up against their inter-state rival Arizona and Pepperdine and the team improved slightly, hitting +12 but stayed at the eleventh place marker. The players were all around the saw score by the end of the day, as Kerley, Zeeb and Liti were all +4 on the night. 

Strom was able to cut down her stroke count from round one to round two, going from +7 to +1, the lowest by any Sun Devils.

The team continued to not get breaks as in day three, the women hit their best score in +7 but failed to break top ten once again for the first time this season.

The team went up against Iowa State and Oregon for the final round and saw mixed results from their players, as most improved or stayed the same, and only one didn’t. 

Vaughn finally got it together on the last day, hitting for par and putting up the team's second best score. Kerley was also able to improve, shooting +2, and Strom was at the same level once again for two straight nights, hitting +1 for the second consecutive night.  Liti finished +4. 

Zeeb had a tough day, hitting +10.

The best Sun Devil in the tournament was Kerley with the 23rd spot, and the rest of the team finished outside the top 25. Vaughn and Strom tied for 40th place and Liti finished 79th.

ASU's next competition is the Pac-12 preview in Kona, Hawaii on Monday, Nov. 2nd.

ASU men's golf surges to second place finish at Alister Mackenzie Invite

ASU women's golf rallies to fourth place finish at Windy City Classic

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×