Bring out your dead: Zombie Walk 7 gives Phoenix an undead party

Downtown Phoenix hosted the 7th annual Zombie Walk at Heritage Square Saturday night. The event, which aims to be the largest gathering of zombies west of the Mississippi, had around 20,000 zombies in attendance. This year included a food drive benefiting St. Mary's Food Bank with a goal of seven tons of food donations.

Who said that zombie culture was dead? (no pun intended)

I can understand how video games may have overdone it a bit, but overall, it's still a big deal. Aside from shows like “The Walking Dead” and newcomer “iZombie,” there are plenty of folks still passionate about zombies.

And if this culture continues to give us festivals and parties like Zombie Walk 7, then let's keep this affection for rotten flesh and hungry moans going.

With enough undead to make Daryl Dixon flinch just a tad, the Downtown Phoenix Zombie Walk 7 flooded into Heritage Square Park Saturday, bringing reanimated monsters, their hunters and the occasional zombie superhero together in the name of charity.

Charity was a primary theme with the walk. While it carried the typical (yet immensely fun) festival trappings, like food, games and live music, having cosplayer groups such as the gun-toting Umbrella Corporation take in donations for the Arizona Animal Welfare League was a fun juxtaposition to the strolling dead.

Those that donated five cans of food or $5 could head to Goodwill’s huge “Zombification Center,” which had all the necessary trappings for those needing to get into costume. Volunteers daubed the crowd in bloody face-paint, then set them off to grab a few shredded pieces of clothing to complete the look. It appeared to be a rousing success – there was hardly a lax moment in the booth as more folks set themselves up for the coming walk.

Those that came prepared did so on an impressive scale. Torn faces, dead eyes and the occasional mouth dripping blood populated each corner of the festival grounds. You couldn’t go too far without running into a dead nurse or walker straight from the AMC show. Cosplayers took it another step, with video game characters such as Pyramid Head from Silent Hill and a trio of zombie “Firefly” characters parading the grounds.

The Rebele family were more than happy to pose for pictures with other Walkers, and for good reason. Led by parents, Logan and Jordan, the crew maneuvered the event as zombified versions of “Alice in Wonderland” characters. Mom and dad dressed up as Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter, while the kids handled the twins and the Cheshire Cat.

“This is our fourth year going,” Logan said. “We have a five-year-old, and each year we let him pick a theme. We have the two grandmothers and aunts involved this year, too.”

The Department of Zombie Defense held its court a few booths down from Umbrella. The local group does events dressed in full tactical gear, but their mission at the Walk was more containment than anything, according to member Jeff Seager — a playful reversal of the group's motto, “If it's dead, we'll kill it."

Sean Hayes, commander of the DOZD and co-creator/co-founder of the group, minces few words when describing his crew.

“The Department of Zombie Defense is the most elite organization dedicated to the preservation of human life and the eradication of the increased zombie threat," he said.

Hayes said the group’s focuses were not only training against zombies (zombies being a metaphor for scumbags), but also charity and fun. The Department works with charities such as the Fallen Officers Program and Wounded Warriors to help raise money through comic books and events.

ASU alumnus Stefano Mola was at his very first Zombie Walk with his family. While he wasn’t sure if his 10-year-old son, Miles, and his wife were going to partake in the walk, they were definitely enjoying themselves.

“We’ve always wanted to come here, and we finally decided to take the chance to come on down to this zombie festival, and we’re having the best time of our lives," Mola said. "We absolutely love it.”

Mola had tried his hand at the StunRun big jump near the science center earlier, an obstacle that horrified quite a bit of those that would dare to jump in front of a massive crowd. He said that he was scared at first, but got used to it the more times he tried it.

Local bands drew crowds to center stage, and the high energy that emanated from each turned the festival grounds into a mini concert of sorts, bringing Coachella vibes to the sets. Bear Ghost hit the stage with unique spins on popular movie tracks while Fairy Bones and Playboy Manbaby had the crowd dancing in costume.

The actual walk spoke for itself. After some initial confusion with where to go, zombies and humans alike strode, shuffled and moaned down 5th Ave in a massive wave led by Grand Marshall John Holmberg of radio station KUPD. While the route was safe, the dimly lit streets made the Walk akin to a horror movie — probably the point, considering the environment. Those that returned were treated to set by headlining band Alien Ant Farm.

Zombie Walk 7 had something for everyone. Costumes, killer bands and a drive to improve lives through charity. Anyone who didn't go unfortunately missed out — it was a monster mash for the books.

Zombie Walk 6 sends undead lurking through downtown Phoenix

Nothing Is Certain But Death and Taxes... And Zombies

Reach the reporter at damionjrohman@gmail.com or follow @legendpenguin on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×