Tempe Police: Five dead after car crashes into Tempe Town Lake

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Two adults and two children are dead and one child is in critical condition Sunday after the vehicle they were in drove into Tempe Town Lake, Tempe Police officials report.

Tempe Police and Tempe Fire Medical Rescue were called after four witnesses saw a vehicle driving into the north side of Tempe Town lake, under the Scottsdale Road Bridge, Tempe Police Lt. Michael Pooley wrote in a statement. 

The two adults in the car and two of their children, a 3-year-old boy and a 6-month old girl, were both killed in the accident, police reported.

During an investigation of the mother, officers found that she had a third child that was unaccounted for The Tempe Dive Team helped locate the three-year-old boy in the back seat of the vehicle, according to the statement.

Another child, a 2-year-old, is still in critical condition after the accident, police reported.

UPDATE: Tempe Police reported that the 2-year-old who was in critical condition after the accident has died.

Reach the news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow @kelciegrega on Twitter

×