7 ways to spend the ASU football bye weekend

No football, no problem.

An ASU student covered in gold body paint waves a tee shirt in the south Inferno section during a football game against Cal Poly on Saturday, Sept. 13, 2015.

As you might have heard, there is no ASU football game this week. Here is a list of things you can do with your weekend to help you recover from last week's loss.

Take a road trip

Grab a group of friends and have a weekend adventure. You can explore the valley, venture a few hours north to SedonaFlagstaff or even more north to Grand Canyon National Park.

Exercise at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex

Photo by State Press Photo Staff

Take a walk to your campus' fitness complex and have a little fun. Play some pick-up basketball, pump some iron, get your daily cardio in or take one of the many fitness classes.

Read more: Sleeping pods, holistic wellness in the works for Downtown SDFC

Have a movie marathon

Photo courtesy of Netflix

Don't feel like going out? No problem. Pop some popcorn, relax on your bed and watch movies with a few friends. Many streaming services offer a one-month free trial, but if you don't feel like entering your credit card information there's always dorm cable.

Read more: 10 movies to make your next "Netflix and Chill" session the best one yet

Grab some grub 

Photo by Emily Johnson | The State Press

Instead of paying for overpriced food at the football stadium or sports bars, do yourself a favor and take a break from dining hall food and try something new. Lucky for you, Tempe is home to several cheap local favorites. There is a restaurant in Tempe for every taste.

Read more: OrderUp Tempe brings technology to ASU restaurants

'Really great time' for Tempe as new Postino anchors College Avenue revitalization

Go hiking

There are tons of trails to explore around the valley. Uncover your inner explorer and check out South Mountain ParkCholla Trailhead at Camelback Mountain or Papago park. Although temperatures are cooling down, make sure to bring enough water and food for your hike. Also, look out for wildlife.

Attend a sporting event

Photo by Rebecca Petersen | The State Press

Yes, there are sports other than football! Come show your Sun Devil pride at any of the following sporting events this weekend. Just like football, you've already paid for your tickets through an athletic fee.

• Cross Country, 4:20 p.m. Friday, Papago Golf Course, Phoenix
  • Women's Soccer, 6 p.m. Friday, Sun Devil Soccer Stadium, Tempe
  • Men's Ice Hockey, 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Oceanside Ice Arena, Tempe
  • Swimming/Diving, 11 a.m. Saturday, Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex, Tempe
  • Women's Volleyball, 7 p.m. Saturday, Wells Fargo Arena, Tempe
  • Women's Soccer, 11 a.m. Sunday, Sun Devil Soccer Stadium, Tempe

Go to the zoo

Make a day out of this one. Visit one of Phoenix's most popular attractions, The Phoenix Zoo. For $20 you can explore 125 acres filled with over 50 different wildlife from around the globe. 

Read more: ASU School of Life Sciences builds bridges with Phoenix Zoo

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter

×