ASU women's tennis off to fast start at Thunderbird Invitational

Sun Devils Stephanie Vlad and Ebony Panoho face off in the quarterfinals tomorrow in the Thunderbird Invitational.

ASU Junior Ebony Panoho plays a backhand on her way to a 6-2 6-4
ASU Junior Ebony Panoho plays a backhand on her way to a 6-2 6-4 victory against Arizona's Inge Hendrix

ASU women's tennis secured at least a semifinal spot in the annual Thunderbird Invitational Friday. 

A pair of Sun Devils – Stephanie Vlad and Ebony Panoho – will face off in the quarterfinals tomorrow.

"We won a lot of matches and we have three still in the quarterfinals tomorrow." Coach McInerney said. "A lot of tennis, a beautiful day and some tough competition which is exactly what you want in the last tournament."

ASU began the day with two wins and a loss in the doubles matchups as Desirae krawcyk and Stephanie Vlad handily defeated their Minnesota Golden Gopher adversaries 8-1. Panoho and Alexandra Osborne were victorious as well, winning their set 8-6.

ASU senior Desirae Krawczyk won both of her singles matches sweeping the first match 6-0,6-0 and winning the second one 6-2,6-2.

Krawczyk's fellow senior Stephanie Vlad won both of her matches to earn a quarterfinal appearance with a 6-4,6-2 win in the first match as well as a 6-3,2-6,6-3 victory in the second match.

"I felt that my first match was a little shaky in the beginning but I cleaned it up and got the win," Vlad said. "I just needed to stay solid, grind it out and have long points against her."

Freshman Sammi Hampton was defeated after a long grinding match that resulted in Cal's Lyann Hoang winning 6-0,2-6,7-5(5).

Sophomore Kassidy Jump had a tough day as she was victorious in her first match against her Texas Longhorn opponent but was defeated in the last match of the day by Fresno State's Anneka Watts 2-6,7-5,6-3.

ASU's finally player Gussie O'Sullivan was also victorious in her first round but was defeated by the No. 2 seeded player in the tournament, Cal's Lynn Chi. O'Sullivan was defeated 7-5,6-3.

ASU will look to build on its success in the quarterfinals and semifinals, which begin at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at Graham.Paul@asu.edu or follow @GrahamASUpress on Twitter.

×