ASU football OC Chip Lindsey on looming quarterback battle: "None are standing out"

Lindsey has been impressed with the intelligence and skill sets of the three young quarterbacks.

Wilkins Camp T
Redshirt freshman Manny Wilkins throws the ball during Camp Tontozona practice Wednesday August 12, 2015 at Rumsey Park in Payson, Arizona. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

In the midst of Cactus Bowl preparation, ASU football is getting ready for its first quarterback battle since 2012.

Freshmen Brady White, Bryce Perkins and redshirt freshman Manny Wilkins are attempting to make a good first impression on newly-hired offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

“They’ve been just really attentive, a 'coach me, coach' attitude,” Lindsey said. “They all have good skill sets, they all have good arms, they’re all athletic somewhat.”

Wilkins has experience on his side after serving a backup role to senior Mike Bercovici this season. He played in three games, running packages designed for his dual-threat play style.

“Any game reps, anything like that, is valuable,” he said. “I got a chance to play against U of A and we put some points up on them.”

Over the season, he had five rushing attempts for 41 total yards and did not attempt a throw. Lindsey said that it’s not enough to make an impact on his decision.

“I don’t know that he’s gotten enough to make a huge difference,” Lindsey said.

Wilkins came to ASU as a four-star prospect after throwing for 2,195 yards, rushing for 811 and scoring 36 total touchdowns as a senior. He was ranked as the ninth-best dual-threat quarterback with high regards on his running ability by 24-7 Sports. 

Two impressive freshmen are waiting behind Wilkins.

White and Perkins redshirted this season. They did not see action during the game, but on Wednesday, practice concluded with a scrimmage of new players that was closed to media.

Redshirt senior Devin Lucien said he has been impressed by both of them.

“(White) really reminds me of a Tom Brady-type in the way that he approaches the game and how good he wants to be,” Lucien said.

As a junior, White threw for 4,535 yards on 524 attempts, and threw 41 touchdowns. As a senior, he threw for 3,725 on only 392 attempts. He had 45 touchdowns.

In 2014, he started for the West in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

“I pride myself on my work ethic and want to put in the extra work when I can,” White said. “It’s good to be recognized by a teammate, especially with that name, Tom Brady.”

Lucien called Perkins a “freak of nature.”

Perkins played football, basketball and track in high school, but he stood out on the gridiron. In his senior year of high school, he set a state record for completion percentage (74.6 percent), and a school record for passing touchdowns (46). In addition, he ran for 697 yards on 76 attempts, good for a 9.2 average. He scored five times on his legs.

Bercovici left practice early on Wednesday for graduation, giving the younger guys more reps prior to the rookie scrimmage. Perkins said the reps help him, and the offense is beginning to gel.

“I think we’re coming together,” he said. “The younger guys, and even the older guys that already play a lot are understanding the playbook more.”

Bercovici has spoken to the quarterbacks about the challenges of fighting for a quarterback spot. According to Perkins, Bercovici said it boils down to turnovers.

“The person who owns the football more is going to win the job,” Perkins said. “(There’s a) big emphasis on not only scoring, but taking care of the ball.”

Lindsey echoed this.

“You’ve got to be good with the ball,” he said.

Perkins threw only six interceptions in both his junior and senior year of high school. White had 18 as a high school junior and 19 as a high school senior.

“Whoever takes care of the ball, makes the best decisions, will have the best chance to be our quarterback,” Lindsey said.

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×