ASU hockey reevaluates offensive strategies

ASU head coach Greg Powers remains positive after being shutout by Bemidji State last weekend.

Graduate student forward Liam Norris (25) brings the puck past the neutral zone in the first period against Yale on Friday, Jan. 8, 2016, at Gila River Arena in Glendale. The Bulldogs defeated the Sun Devils 4-0.

Leading up to this past weekend’s doubleheader against the Bemidji State Beavers, ASU head coach Greg Powers continually emphasized pushing offense and committing on power plays. However, good intentions failed to overshadow ASU's four game scoreless streak.

Facing Bemidji for their first time on Jan. 15, the Sun Devils struggled to remove the puck from their zone, resulting in 39 shots by the Beavers. While ASU managed to migrate toward their opponent’s side of the ice, they struggled to take 17 shots, less than half of its opponent.

“These kids have traveled everywhere and played the elite college hockey programs in the country,” Powers said. “There are not many brand new programs that would do that. So we’re better coaches for what we’ve been through. They’re better players for what they’ve been through.”

Even though BSU gave ASU five power play opportunities, ASU offense failed to make a single goal against the Beavers. Playing continuously from behind, ASU ended the weekend with a record 13 straight losses. However, Powers believes his goals are plausible in the future based off recent practices.

“We’re just continuing to try new things and try to find as much chemistry as we can, and we have a couple of new looks this week,” he said. “We like what we’ve been seeing in practice. We’re doing a lot of stuff to allow them to develop some chemistry on the ice together.”

Heading into its last 13 games of the season, ASU sees a greater chance of success; only one ranked team, No. 8 Massachusetts Lowell, remains on the schedule.

“It’s just confidence, that’s all it is,” Powers said. “It’s tough to score at the Division I level and we’re proving that. It’s not that our kids don’t have skill or aren’t talented. It’s valuable experience that we’re gaining every week.”

ASU hockey scoreless in fourth consecutive game

Sun Devils' losing streak continues with more power play struggles

Reach the reporter at ncorr@asu.edu or follow @natalieorr19 on Twitter.

×