ASU men's basketball near bottom of initial power rankings

Playing a tough out-of-conference schedule, ASU hasn't been able to close tight games.

Mens Basketball generic eric jacobsen 21
Senior forward Eric Jacobsen during the men's basketball team's media day on Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015, at the Weatherup Center in Tempe.

After the first week of conference play, power rankings show ASU hanging near the bottom of the Pac-12. Here is how the rankings have played out.

1. USC (13-3, 3-1 Pac-12)

By far the worst team in the league last year, the Trojans have come out firing through two weekends of Pac-12 play. USC was a blown second half lead away from going 4-0, led by sophomore guard Jordan McLaughlin and Julian Jacobs, who each average 12.9 points per game. With Andy Enfield at the helm, the program is on its way to a height possibly unseen previously by the Trojans.

2. Oregon (13-3, 2-1 Pac-12)

The Ducks have more than made up for the loss of last year's Pac-12 Player of the Year Joe Young with excellent play across the board, making people forget about the dysfunction and problems of a couple of seasons ago. With Oregon now close to being at full strength, the team is in position to keep itself at the top of the heap.

3. Arizona (13-3, 1-2 Pac-12)

A tough road sweep in Los Angeles have the Wildcats in an unfamiliar position: the lower half of the conference standings. Don't be fooled, though, as both losses were as close as can be and the young team is still finding its way. This is more likely a temporary bump in the road than a sign of things to come.

4. Washington (11-3, 3-0 Pac-12)

It's hard to tell where the Huskies are at this point. Despite only having four losses, three of them are to teams that aren't necessarily turning heads nationally. With senior guard Andrew Andrews leading the offense, the Huskies can score seemingly at-will; they just need to keep that pace going heading through the Pac-12.

5. Oregon State (11-3, 2-1 Pac-12)

The Beavers are out to prove their upstart 2014-15 campaign was a sign of progression. They're doing just that. Of Oregon State's three losses, two of them are to teams in first place in their conferences, including a game at Phog Allen Fieldhouse against No. 1 Kansas.

6. UCLA (11-6, 2-2 Pac-12)

As long as the Bruins keep games close and have junior guard Bryce Alford available, they have a chance in any game. The coach's son hit shots to take down both Arizona and ASU last weekend and has the cliché clutch gene that all coaches want players to have. The loss to Monmouth looks better every day, leaving UCLA in a good spot.

7. Cal (12-5, 2-2 Pac-12)

Despite being a trendy pick to supplant Arizona at the top of the Pac-12 this season, the Golden Bears haven't been the team that many expected. With no signature win and back-to-back losses in Washington, Cal has to be feeling the pressure to begin playing up to expectations.

8. Utah (12-4, 1-2 Pac-12)

The Utes were another team with high expectations that has dropped the ball. Their win over Duke gives them legitimacy, but a 24-point loss to Miami and being swept in the Bay Area shows there's room for improvement.

9. Stanford (9-6, 2-2 Pac-12)

The Cardinal has split both of its conference weekends so far, keeping them on pace for a spot in the middle of the standings with no end in sight. While Stanford is not exceptional, the team is well-coached, which is certainly a dangerous trait.

10. ASU (10-6, 0-3 Pac-12)

Despite a very promising out-of-conference performance, the Sun Devils haven't exactly impressed thus far. Their three games have been against three of the most talented teams in the conference, but they still need to win games and not just keep it respectable.

11. Washington State (9-6, 1-2 Pac-12)

Other than junior forward Josh Hawkinson, who is once again averaging a double-double, the Cougars are lacking offensively. As they showed against UCLA, they can compete with and defeat any team at any time.

12. Colorado (12-4, 1-2 Pac-12)

The Buffaloes have lost three of four after a promising start. Another team with no win that pops off the schedule, Colorado is without a star that can carry it to wins in the same way that other teams in the conference can lean on players.

Pac-12 Standings:

ASU loses third straight to open conference play

Bobby Hurley's intensity good for ASU men's basketball

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×