ASU track and field loses to three schools

ASU track and field stayed competitive throughout the entire event but just couldn't keep up with its opponents.

Track

The women’s 1500 run featuring ASU senior Shaina Corbin (16), sophomore Chelsey Totten (9) junior Cristina Juan Torres (18) on Friday, March 20, 2015, at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe.

The Texas A&M men's track team is ranked No. 2; its women's team is No. 3. in Track and Field News. The same publication ranked Oklahoma women No. 16. In USTFCCCA, Texas Tech men ranked No. 17.

ASU track and field couldn't stand up to the challenges; both teams placed fourth at the Texas A&M Quadrangular.

Both Aggies teams won. Their men scored 172 and the women scored 143.

ASU women’s runners started off strong in the 1-mile, finishing first and second as senior Jen Owens took first place with (4:51) and junior Chelsey Totten raced in 4:54.

In the 60-meter hurdles, freshman Sydney Mosley kept ASU in the top three, finishing third with 8.68 seconds. Sophomore Melese Crozier took fourth place in the 400-meter, hitting 55.81 seconds. Senior Jasmine Gibbs continued the hot streak in the 60-meter race, taking third with a time of 7.61.

The women’s best performance on the track was at the 3000-meter race — Junior Adriana Olivas, senior Shaina Corbin and freshman Samantha Ortega finished in first, second and third place, respectively.

The women's team placed in the top-five in every event it competed in (it did not compete in the 800-meter or distance medley).

Despite the poor outing, some men stood out. Senior Ryan Herson took third place at the 1-mile run with a time of 4:09. Two athletes got in the top-five of the 60-meter race as senior Isiah Underwood defeated senior Reggie Lewis by .002 to get fourth and fifth place, respectively.

Underwood also got fifth in the 200-meter with a time of 21.78.

The men’s team got in fourth place in two straight races in the 3000-meter race and the distance medley race and then fifth in the 4x400 relay, losing to Texas A&M C team and Texas Tech’s B team.

ASU once again saw success in the field events. 

The men's team got in the top-three in all but three events; out of those three, though, ASU won two of them. Junior Tim White got first place in triple jump (15.9 m) and junior Thomas Anderson won the shot put (18.26 m).

Junior Kyle Long got second place in the weight throw challenge and senior Ahmed Hassan got third in shot put. Senior Josh Dixon got third in triple jump.

ASU men had at least one person in the top-five in every field event.

The women placed someone in the top-three in all but two events.

Sophomore Maggie Ewen won the shot put (16.52 m) and got second in weight throw at 19.13 meters. Freshman Jessica Barreria got third in long jump at 5.43 meters.

Junior Keyasia Tibbs got fifth in long jump (5.36 m) and then won the triple jump with a distance on 12.57 meters. She was one of three Sun Devils in the top five in that event, joining sophomore Darreyl Woodson (fourth, 11.76 meters) and Bareira (fifth, 11.42 meters).

Despite their successes, the other teams outpaced the Sun Devils. ASU couldn't defeat any of its opponents.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×