ASU water polo sweeps the weekend

No. 6 ASU beat No. 14 Indiana in four straight games, two of which were exhibition matches.

ASU goalie Mia Rycraw blocks a shot-on-goal during a game against the Indiana University Hoosiers at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Ariz., on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2015. The Sun Devils won the game with a final score of 23-4.

No. 6 ASU water polo is dynamic. In a four-game series against No. 14 Indiana, the Sun Devils scored 68 goals and only allowed 25.

Every single player on ASU's roster scored over the weekend. ASU won all four of the games. The latter two were exhibition and do not officially count statistically.

After scoring 10 in its first game, ASU scored 13 in the second on Saturday. On Sunday, they racked up 22 and then 21.

In its final game, ASU took a quick 3-0 lead before Indiana freshman defender Karrie Kozokar scored two around the four-minute mark.

The Sun Devils answered back by scoring four goals — two coming from redshirt senior defender Ao Gao — in a 45-second span in the second period, ballooning the score to 9-2.

Indiana took a penalty, resulting in two quick goals from the Sun Devils between sophomore attacker Lena Mihailovic and senior attacker Daisy Carter.

ASU had solid defense the entire game to stop the Hoosiers from having solid opportunities on offense. Redshirt sophomore goalie Mia Rycraw was the catalyst, remaining as stout as she had been the entire weekend. Indiana did not score another goal in the half. ASU led 11-2.

"Positioning is key on defense, and the intense press worked well for us this weekend because we were able to keep them out far from the goal," Carter said.

ASU subbed junior goalkeeper Taylor Barrett in for Rycraw at the half. She had a remarkable corner save on a hard shot from a Hoosier attacker. However, Indiana was able to break through with a nice goal from senior center Candyce Schroeder.

After that goal, Barrett mirrored Rycraw's strong weekend effort with a few more solid saves. Indiana tried to get an offensive possession going with a cross-pool pass, but ASU freshman attacker Julia Reyes was having none of it. She backstroked and snatched the ball out of the air.

Indiana only allowed one goal in the third, but ASU scored four quickly in the fourth. The Sun Devils had a commanding 16-3 lead with just over five minutes remaining.

They weren't done. They won 23-4.

It concludes a weekend of victories. The first two games will count toward their record.

ASU is now 2-0 to begin the season.

"Today was a great opportunity for players that did not play much on Saturday to show what they have," head coach Todd Clapper said. "We are in a good position for January, but we are really far from reaching the great potential this team has."

Reach the reporter at Graham.Paul@asu.edu or follow @GrahamASUpress on Twitter.

×