Local Buffalo Exchange helps cubs one fur coat at a time

The Buffalo Exchange on West University in Tempe, AZ features new and  used clothing for today's generation. Recently, despite cruelty free  claims, the store has began to accept and sell fur items. January 15,  2016.

The Buffalo Exchange on West University in Tempe, AZ features new and used clothing for today's generation. Recently, despite cruelty free claims, the store has began to accept and sell fur items. January 15, 2016.

For more than 10 years, Buffalo Exchange Tempe has supported Coats for Cubs, a non-profit organization that collects furs from around the country to give to animals for comfort when they are orphaned or abused.

Buffalo Exchange, acting as a hub of philanthropy in the local community, supports various charities surrounding homelessness, environment and animal rights.

Store Manager Candace Gaskin said the program has been successful in the past at the Tempe store and customers always seem to be responsive to the campaign.

“We’ve collected over 11,000 (articles of fur) for the rehabbers,” Gaskin said. “What the rehabbers do is take the fur and they use it for petting for orphans or injured and sick animals."

Gaskin said the fur helps comfort the animals who have suffered neglect or abuse.

“It gives comfort especially to young animals and cubs and it’s more of a natural feel for them to recover,” Gaskin said. “Most centers tell us that the animals sigh or make a noise as a sign because (the fur) is really soothing for them.”

Gaskin said the community has responded positively.

“We’ve had a great response from the customers and it’s a great way to support the community in a different way,” Gaskin said. “I think people can connect and relate to it and it’s something they can be excited to be a part of.”

Buffalo Exchange employee and communications sophomore Keenan Daly said he appreciates how the company, despite being well-known, gives back to the community.

“It makes me so happy because there are so many perks of working at Buffalo Exchange as a college student but to be able to do something in retail that gives back is cool,” Daly said. “It gives you a sense of purpose and happiness because you’re doing something good.”

Shelby Ray from Queen Creek, a frequent Buffalo Exchange shopper, said she comes to the Tempe location because it has a better selection of clothing. 

She said she also appreciates the charity work the company does, especially the Coats for Cubs program.

“I think it’s really cool and to go outside as a company and help someone else,” Ray said. 

The Campus Closet: Buffalo Exchange

Coats for Cubs helps orphaned wildlife

Reach the reporter at sgreene6@asu.edu or follow @thesydneygreene on Twitter.

×