Freshman Morgan Wilson out rest of season for Gym Devils

ASU Gymnastics gaining confidence ahead of Oregon State meet, coach says

ASU hosts a gymnastics meet with the University of Washington Huskies at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Ariz., on Monday, Jan. 18, 2015. The Huskies posted a 194.650-192.450 victory over the Sun Devils.

ASU gymnastics will be heading into this weekend’s meet and the rest of the season without freshman standout Morgan Wilson in any assignments.

Wilson tore her Achilles while warming up for a take-off on a tumbling pass, head coach René Lyst said.

Last weekend, Wilson did not compete in the meet against the University of Oklahoma.

In her first season as a Gym Devil, Wilson posted solid scores in all her events including a score of 38.700 to place second in the all-around against Washington.

Wilson’s season high score was a 9.775 on floor in the opening meet of the season against Nebraska and Bowling Green.

After an intersquad meet during practice this week, Lyst said some orders for events changed in order to see who will work better in different positions.

“I thought they looked great,” she said. “They had a lot of confidence and their performance was really good.”

The focus of this week’s practices was getting bigger vaults, landing and consistency on bars, and again, increasing confidence, Lyst said.

“Oregon State is a great team and they have a lot of talent.” she said. “We just need to focus on getting a better score and not havineg mistakes. We had three good events last weekend and we’re gaining confidence every week and I think this weekend we should be able to put four events together.”

Oregon State (4-2) failed to hold on to a strong start last weekend in an away meet against Utah, counting their first fall of the season in their last rotation on beam against the Utes.

Last season, Oregon State beat ASU in the regular season (196.275-193.475) as well as in the Pac-12 Championships (196.900-192.700).

Lyst said her concerns for the weekend are the same as they normally are: staying focused, staying calm and hitting routines.

“We can’t control what the other team does, we can’t control what the judging is like, we just have to go in and do our routines the best we possibly can,” Lyst said.

Reach the reporter at haley.stesiak@asu.edu or follow @haley_stesiak on Twitter.

×