Dream harvesting organization ASU Film Spark already seems to be igniting a fire on campus. It has been encouraging students to pursue their passion through programs, classes and internships.

The Film Spark organization is based in Santa Monica, California, but connects with students in Tempe who are currently enrolled in film, theater and art courses. However, anyone interested in working in Hollywood is welcome to attend any of the events put on by the organization. No one is turned away. 

The influence of ASU Film Spark is growing, any student who has attended the organization's events like "Hollywood Invades Tempe!" at the Marston Exploration Theatre or had the opportunity to take the class "Welcome to Hollywood," has witnessed the determination of the organization to help students achieve their goals.

According to Adam Collis, professor of “Welcome to Hollywood," the class allows students to gain insight into what they can expect in their job search. 

An example of an opportunity that students had in the past was an interaction with Philip Messina, the production designer of "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1." Unique events like this are ones that the organization offers to allow students to engage with film movies, events and professionals. Having a person who was involved in a major motion picture speak to the students is just one way that the organization uses their tools to inspire students who want to make it in the film industry.

The program strives to provide both ASU alumni and current students with a way to accelerate their careers in Hollywood. 

Students are also engaged in the organization by taking the offered courses held by those running the organization and also have the option of applying for film industrial-focused classes post-graduation. 

“In just five years, we have connected ASU students with four Oscar winners, five Oscar-nominees, three studio chiefs, the presidents of both the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and The Directors Guild, as well as many blockbuster producers an award-winning directors,” Collis wrote in an email.

ASU film spark graduate Zachariah Ragatz is currently an inaugural fellow in the Film Spark fellowship. As a fellow, he takes part in things like facilitating a recent Skype call between professionals in Santa Monica and students in Tempe. 

“This class gives the 10,000 foot view of Hollywood, and includes guest speakers who are involved in those numerous facets of the industry,” Ragatz wrote in an email. 

Collis hosted and moderated the newest and most recent series, “Making it in Hollywood with your Friends,” where students in Tempe had the opportunity to meet, in person, ASU alumnus Howard Burkons, an Emmy-nominate writer and producer. 

The call consisted of Collis sitting side-by-side with television talent agent for United Talent Agency Aron Giannini, a writer for "NCIS: Los Angeles"  Kyle Harimoto and talent manager Jason Shapiro. Each found their way to Los Angeles and had to work up to their positions as of today. Each spoke and answered questions from the eager students. 

Shapiro advised students how to be successful from a talent manager standpoint.

“Someone that is unique and basically being the best you you can be,” he said. “Someone who can act.”

Student film 'Losing It' brings attention to body sensitivity through comedy and hard work

ASU film students take over Jerome Indie Film and Music Festival

Reach the reporter at ndusanek@asu.edu or follow @NikkiDusanek on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×