ASU film students take over Jerome Indie Film and Music Festival

Film and media production senior Matt Chesin and junior Brian Kiefling are each bringing a film to the Jerome Film and Music Festival (Photo courtesy of Matt Chesin and Brian Kiefling.)

Film and media production senior Matt Chesin and junior Brian Kiefling are each bringing a film to the Jerome Film and Music Festival (Photo courtesy of Matt Chesin and Brian Kiefling.) Film and media production senior Matt Chesin and junior Brian Kiefling are each bringing a film to the Jerome Film and Music Festival (Photo courtesy of Matt Chesin and Brian Kiefling.)

Film and media production senior Matt Chesin and junior Brian Kiefling will each take a short film to the annual Jerome Indie Film and Music Festival that takes place from June 13 to 16 in Jerome, Ariz.

Kiefling will be taking his short film, “The Muse,” while Chesin will be taking “Grab Ass.” This is not the first time their two short films have screened at a film festival. Earlier this year, both films debuted at the Phoenix Film Festival as well as ASU’s very own festival. Chesin and Kiefling even managed to rake up an award at a Yuma Film Festival for “The Muse” in the Best Direction category.

“The Muse” is a short horror film about a girl who takes up a bet with her co-workers in order to “fit in” at her new job inside a haunted old children’s hospital. The girl is accidentally locked in a cold storage vault overnight and encounters the ghost of a child as well as the vengeful ghost of a nurse who killed several children in the hospital years before.

Both Chesin's and Kiefling's independent films will be going to the Jerome Film and music Festival where they will be representing ASU. (Photo courtesy of Matt Chesin and Brian Kiefling.) Both Chesin's and Kiefling's independent films will be going to the Jerome Film and music Festival where they will be representing ASU.
(Photo courtesy of Matt Chesin and Brian Kiefling.)

Kiefling partnered with Chesin, whom helped him produce the film, and the film took life the summer of 2012 in a matter of three days with four months of pre-production.

Kiefling said shooting the film was “not like a normal eight-hour day." He said they worked from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for two days to create 158 scenes.

Matt Chesin on the other hand, has his very own film, “Grab Ass”, involving an inexperienced young man’s encounter with a co-worker that leads to sexual harassment.

In this case, “it is the woman doing the sexual harassment instead of the male,” Chesin said. The script for this short was written by Mindy Duponte and was filmed in a matter of two days throughout various locations in Phoenix and Tempe.

Both Chesin and Kiefling have various projects in the works coming up this year, and this will not be the last time the two head to these festivals and screenings. For new projects and updates from them, visit Matt Chesin's site and Brian Kiefling's page.

Reach the reporter at rlopez20@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @RosieLopez14

×