Successful lawyer by day, prominent pop artist by night and compassionate philanthropist in between — this ASU grad makes the rest of us look like slackers.

Krystle Delgado, otherwise known as Miss Krystle, is a 26-year-old attorney/singer/songwriter/nonprofit founder with big dreams and the ambition to make them a reality. She graduated from Barrett, the Honors College in December of 2009 with a degree in political science, then received her law degree from the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law in December of 2013.

Delgado said that ASU's large class sizes and fast-paced environment forced her to confront her fears of working in law head-on.

"Coming from a homeschooled background, I had deeply engrained fears of public speaking and being called on," she said. "Once you get into law school, that's all it is. You're being put on the spot, being challenged, having to think on your feet. It's a terrifying experience. The experience of being in those larger classrooms helped me grow as an individual. Meeting some of the people there from different walks of life who are so intelligent and articulate, they just really inspired me to better myself."

Delgado said after graduating with her law degree, she realized that she had the opportunity and client-base to expand her reach and cater to a niche market in Phoenix: the entertainment business.

She has been representing clients in the entertainment industry ever since, and recently launched her own firm, Delgado Entertainment Law, PLLC. The firm works with musicians, artists, filmmakers and other entertainers to negotiate deals, review contracts and handle copyrights and trademarks.

As it happened, entertainment was also her personal specialty. In fact, it's the reason she got into law in the first place.

"I went to law school with no intention of actually practicing," Delgado said. "I just wanted to get the experience to be able to read contracts and know what the hell I was looking at."

Delgado's own music career was — and is — her first passion. She began performing with her family's band when she was 10, started writing and recording music when she was 15 and produced her first album as a part of her thesis. She has since released two more albums, several singles and numerous remixes under the stage name Miss Krystle.

"The future of music is never-ending for me," Delgado said. "As long as I'm alive and breathing, I will create."

Miss Krystle's coming single, "Swear," is a mix of R&B and pop with a sexy energy, Delgado said. The single is set to release on Feb. 4 as a lead-up to her upcoming album "Woman In Motion."

Delgado describes the theme of her next album as "positivity and empowerment."

"(Woman In Motion) is going to seem like it's all feminism and empowerment, and it is, but I'm more about individual empowerment, for everybody," she said. "I want men and women equally to know their worth and to feel like they can take control of their lives."

Delgado's lifelong passion for empowerment goes beyond the lyrics she writes in her songs. Ten years ago she founded Young Ones United, a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to child abuse prevention and awareness. YOU works with at-risk populations, other organizations and community members to fundraise, promote awareness and participate in year-round service events.

Delgado cites her time in the classroom of Sarah Buel, Clinical Professor of law at ASU, as a source of inspiration with regards to philanthropy. Buel's dedication to the prevention of child abuse and domestic violence, as well as the warmth and love she showed to her students, struck a chord with Delgado.

Buel said she is glad that Delgado is able to pursue her passion while still finding ways to give back to the community. 

"Part of our job (as teachers) is to help (students) find a job," Buel said. "I tell them to find a job you love, one that brings you joy, so you love going to work. Krystle was one of those students that my message resonated with; she realized she could do entertainment law as her day job, but still do child abuse work as a volunteer."

For listeners, Delgado's multifaceted interests add an extra layer to her music as Miss Krystle.

"It's kind of weird to know that she's also a lawyer at the same time (while) making this type of video," criminal justice freshman Marilyn Castro said after watching the "Want a Star" music video. "Since it's more entertainment law, I guess she likes to entertain people." 

More information about YOU and ways to get involved can be found on the organization's website. For more of Miss Krystle's music, check out her YouTube or Soundcloud.

Related links:

ASU student supports Parkinson's disease research through charity CD

Music to cope with the semester’s first real week

Reach the reporter at skylar.mason@asu.edu or follow @skylarmason42 on Twitter.

×