Pac-12 women's basketball power rankings: ASU remains on top

The Sun Devils are the only Pac-12 team that is undefeated in conference play.

Junior forward Sophie Brunner looks to pass against Florida State on Monday, Dec. 21, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Seminoles 68-56.

With two double-digit victories over rival Arizona in the span of three days, No. 8 ASU women's basketball is on a 14-game winning streak and is the only Pac-12 team with an 8-0 record in conference. 

Here are this week's full Pac-12 power rankings:

1. Arizona State (17-3, 8-0 Pac-12)

Last four games: (W) 64-37 vs. Colorado, (W) 80-60 vs. Utah, (W) 61-49 vs. Arizona, (W) 62-47 at Arizona.

Catalyzed by its scoring defense that ranks 10th in the country, ASU has five consecutive victories by double digits and 14 consecutive wins overall. Senior guard Elisha Davis and junior forward Sophie Brunner have anchored the Sun Devils' defense and provided a necessary spark on the offensive side. The duo combined for 31 points and 12 steals in ASU's victory over Arizona on Friday.

2. Oregon State (16-3, 7-1 Pac-12)

Last four games: (W) 70-48 vs. California, (W) 58-50 vs. Stanford, (W) 62-53 at Utah, (W) 61-47 at Colorado.

The No. 9 ranked Beavers and No. 8 Sun Devils have emerged as the clear top two teams in the Pac-12 and are slated for their first meeting of the season on Sunday, Feb. 1. After an incredibly challenging non-conference schedule, Oregon State is on a six-game conference win streak after losing by 20 at UCLA on Jan. 4.

3.  UCLA (14-5, 6-2 Pac-12)

Last four games: (L) 64-56 at Washington, (W) 75-73 at Washington State, (W) 75-56 vs. California, (W) 56-36 vs. Stanford.

UCLA is up to its highest AP ranking of the season at No. 15 after a dominant victory over Stanford. The Bruins can score in bunches and are 5-0 at home in the Pac-12, but keeping up that scoring clip has been a challenge on the road, where UCLA falls to 1-2 in conference play.

4. Washington (15-4, 6-2 Pac-12)

Last four games: (W) 63-47 vs. Arizona, (W) 64-56 vs. UCLA, (W) 69-60 vs. USC, (W) 69-63 vs. Washington State.

Led by the nation's leading scorer in Kelsey Plum (27.3 PPG), No. 25 Washington has cracked the AP top 25 for the first time this season. The Huskies went 4-1 in their five-game home stand with the only loss coming at the hands of the Sun Devils.

5. Stanford (15-5, 5-3 Pac-12)

Last four games: (W) 64-62 at Oregon, (L) 58-50 at Oregon State, (W) 57-47 at USC, (L) 56-36 at UCLA.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. After climbing as high as No. 9 in the AP top 25 in early January, the Cardinal have struggled to score against quality teams and dropped to No. 16. In two double-digit losses to UCLA and Arizona State, Stanford averaged a pitiful 33.5 points per game.

6. Oregon (14-5, 3-5 Pac-12)

Last four games: (L) 64-62 vs. Stanford, (W) 69-59 vs. California, (W) 59-46 at Colorado, (W) 77-65 at Utah.

Things were looking bleak in Eugene when the Ducks started conference play 0-5, but a glimmer of hope in that two-point loss to Stanford turned into a three-game winning streak. While Oregon's victories have been over the bottom of the Pac-12 barrel, no road game is easy in one of the deepest conferences in recent memory.

7. Utah (12-7, 4-4 Pac-12)

Last four games: (W) 60-55 at Arizona, (L) 80-60 at Arizona State, (L) 62-53 vs. Oregon State, (L) 77-65 vs. Oregon.

After starting Pac-12 play off with two victories over the Washington schools, Utah has beaten two low-caliber opponents in California and Arizona, but failed to contend with the upper-level teams in the conference. Redshirt sophomore Emily Potter continues to make her case for case for all-conference first team, scoring 16.7 points and grabbing 11.4 rebounds per game.

8. USC (15-5, 3-5 Pac-12)

Last four games: (L) 73-61 at Washington State, (L) 69-60 at Washington, (L) 57-47 vs. Stanford, (W) 61-47 vs. California.

USC had a solid start to its season, including an undefeated out-of-conference record prior to key victories over Oregon and UCLA. After dropping three of their last four games including a winless road trip to the state of Washington, the Trojans find themselves on the verge of mediocrity.

9. Washington State (12-7, 3-5 Pac-12)

Last four games: (L) 63-45 vs. Arizona State, (W) 73-61 vs. USC, (L) 75-73 vs. UCLA, (L) 69-63 at Washington.

Wazzu's most recent loss came in the second leg of the Apple Cup where it once again struggled to contain Plum. Much like Oregon, Utah's conference victories have been less-than-convincing. Beating Colorado by single digits isn't exactly something to hang your hat on.

10. Arizona (11-9, 2-6 Pac-12)

Last four games: (L) 60-55 vs. Utah, (W) 63-52 vs. Colorado, (L) 61-49 at Arizona State, (L) 62-47 vs. Arizona State.

The Territorial Cup belongs to ASU in women's basketball after the Wildcats lost twice to their rivals in a two-day span. The bottom line is that Arizona just can't score. They may play excellent defense and have legitimate depth, but the Wildcats can't expect much success when they score 58 points per game.

11. California (10-9, 1-7 Pac-12)

Last four games: (L) 78-40 at Oregon State, (L) 69-59 at Oregon, (L) 75-56 at UCLA, (L) 61-47 at USC.

One of the few bright spots in what has been a disappointing season overall for Cal is that center Kristine Anigwe is a contender for national freshman of the year. Other than a 29-point victory over lowly Colorado, the Bears are winless in conference play after a brutal 0-4 road trip.

12. Colorado (5-14, 0-8 Pac-12)

Last four games: (L) 64-37 at Arizona State, (L) 63-52 at Arizona, (L) 59-46 vs. Oregon, (L) 61-47 vs. Oregon State.

Colorado is ... young. Fans of the Buffs' women's basketball team can look forward to future seasons as their youthful lineup continues to develop and progress. With five wins all season and an 0-8 mark in conference, it's looking like the first game of the Pac-12 tournament will likely be the last of the season for Colorado.

ASU women's basketball notches Territorial Cup sweep

LiLi Davis leads ASU women's basketball to victory over Arizona

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×