Walk-off double from Nichole Chilson leads ASU to a mercy rule win

Freshman first baseman Ulufa Leilua hit three home runs over the three day period.

ASU right fielder Nichole Chilson high-fives teammates after scoring a run during a game against Fresno State on Sunday, Feb. 28, 2016. The Sun Devils won the game in five innings, 11-3.

ASU softball finished the weekend strong with a 11-3 mercy rule win against St. Francis.

Sophomore right fielder Nichole Chilson ended the game with a bang, literally. Her walk-off double pushed ASU over SFU in the fifth inning to apply the mercy rule. ASU's offense consistently shined throughout the game.

In the first inning, senior left fielder Abby Spiel attempted to steal second when the catcher’s throw hit off her helmet and was sent flying into the outfield. Spiel was then waved home and ASU was put on the board early 1-0.

Senior second baseman Nikki Girard had an eye for the ball during the game, racking up two doubles and two RBIs.

Junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales went 3-for-4 with two RBIs. Gonzales says that Sunday games during these long tournaments are tough, but the team is constantly reminding each other to keep the drive going.

“The team is always going to be a little bit draggy towards the end,” said Gonzales. “But we always tell each other to pick it up, and keep the energy up and going.”

Freshman first baseman Ulufa Leilua's energy was up and going not only this game, but the entire weekend. She hit a long ball over the fence, bumping ASU's lead up to 7-2 in the third inning.

Leilua was on a home run streak this weekend, hitting three home runs in a three-day span.

“I could hear my teammates in the background saying ‘keep it simple, keep it simple,’” said Leilua. “And that was my mindset this entire weekend.”

While the offense has been dominant this weekend, the pitching displayed strength over the last few days

Sophomore pitcher Breanna Macha looked to bounce back from a tough start in yesterday’s game against SFU. Although Macha only allowed two runs, co-interim head coach Letty Olivarez mentioned that her game plan was to split the pitching duties in the face off with St. Francis.

Redshirt junior Kelsey Kessler stepped in the circle in the fourth inning, and only allowed one run, which came off a home run. Kessler lead the team to a victory in the circle, but Olivarez notes that practice this week will primarily focus on pitchers working on hitting their spots.

“With Kessler, we need her to focus on hitting the corners,” said Olivarez. “And with the other two pitchers, its all about working on keeping everything down in the zone.”

The Sun Devils will hit the road to Long Beach on Thursday, March 3 to enter the Judi Garman Classic.

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×