ASU softball missed out on the Kajikawa Classic sweep by one game, losing 5-3 to No. 18 Kentucky on Monday.

Neither team scored in the first four innings as the pitchers dueled.

Sophomore pitcher Breanna Macha started off in the circle and pitched all seven innings for the Devils. This game was Macha’s third time starting over the weekend, and the second time in the last two days. She pitched 19 innings total, giving up just three runs before facing Kentucky.

In the fifth, a bit of miscommunication cost ASU.

Senior second baseman Nikki Girard and freshman third baseman Taylor Beccerracharged in for a pop fly, calling the other off. No one took charge and they ran into each other, allowing the runner to get on base.

Kentucky took advantage, scoring three runs in the inning.

However, ASU was able to respond back in the bottom half. Junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzalez continued her rampage at the plate, hitting a three-run double to tie the game.

"I was excited that I got to help my team out and get us back in the game," she said.

Gonzales finished the Kajikawa tournament with 12 RBIs, two home runs, and three doubles.

"I kept it calm at the plate, just knowing my plan and my approach before hand," she said.

Kentucky didn't take its foot off the gas, though, responding in the sixth. The Wildcats went back on top when Christian Stokes hits a two run home run to left center making the score 5-3 at the top of the sixth.

The score remained the same going into the bottom of the seventh. ASU had a chance with the top of the lineup, but the offense was unable to produce anymore runs. Kentucky won 5-3.

"I think I could have done better, there's always room for improvement," Macha said.

She has been changing her windup over the offseason to adjust for better scouting against her, co-interim and pitching coach Letty Olivarez said on Sunday after her start against San Diego.Co-intermin coach Robert Wagner said that the team needs to adjust its practices.

"I think overall this weekend, we played good defense," Wagner said. "We just need to focus on putting the girls in more situations during practice."

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×