ASU Softball finds strong start to Littlewood Classic

Sun Devils earn convincing wins over Michigan State, Memphis

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak pitches during a game against Portland State at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Feb. 14, 2016. The Sun Devils won the game, 7-1.

ASU softball really emphasized that they were going to take one game at a time, and that is exactly what they did.

The first game of the night was against Michigan State, which ASU won 5-2. In that game, all of ASU’s runs were scored off of home runs.

Junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales was the first to homer at the bottom of the first. Her home run knocked in two runs and put the Sun Devils on the board 2-0. 

This home run made it Gonzales’ third of the season, and added to her career total of 22. 

Gonzales has really been aiming on being focused in the box, and that showed in tonight’s game. 

Senior second baseman Nikki Girard hit a three-run home run, her first of the season, to help continue the lead 5-1 at the bottom of the third.

"I've been struggling in the batters box, so I try to keep it simple." Girard said. "I was going for a base hit, but it ended up going over the fence." 

Junior pitcher Kelsey Kessler pitched four innings for the Sun Devils. Kessler managed to only give up four hits and had a total of six strikeouts. 

Sophomore pitcher Breanna Macha joined the game at the top of the 5th to help secure a win for the Sun Devils. Macha threw a total of 30 pitches and only allowed one hit. 

The second opponent of the night was the Memphis Tigers.  

The first inning was a long one, in which the Sun Devils produced most of their runs.

Senior catcher Katee Aguirre made two plate appearances in the first inning. In her first at bat, she hit a double to right-center field, plating two runs to get ASU on the board. 

Her second at bat was also a double, but this time she drove in three runs to increase her team's lead to 9-0. 

"(I'm) just sticking to the basic, simple approach," Aguirre said. "Keeping my hands short, and just see the ball, hit the ball." 

Aguirre went 2-for-4 and had five RBIs. 

Freshman right fielder Skylar McCarty hit a double up the middle, knocking in two runs and putting her first career RBIs on the board. Senior left fielder Abby Spiel also helped contribute to the lead, singling to shallow left field and picked up an RBI.

Defense started out strong, but slowly started getting shaken up as the innings went on. 

Memphis scored all of their runs in the third inning, when defense started getting a little sloppy, but ASU eventually won the ball game 11-3 after five innings and a mercy rule. 

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak had an exceptional performance in the circle against Memphis, pitching five innings and allowing three hits.

"It takes a huge weight off my shoulders, seeing all the runs my team put on the board." said Ryndak. "I just feel like I am able to play my game." 

The Sun Devils will continue tomorrow with a double-header against Illinois State at 6:00 p.m. and Northern Iowa at 8:15 p.m.

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×