ASU will soon have a new place to call home.

The University will implement a center in downtown Mesa, according to Mayor John Giles’ State of the City address.

Giles called the move an "exciting new expansion" and said the campus would bring more traffic through the city. The expansion is a part of the city's NextMesa mission, which aims to improve Mesa to the "next community."

In a statement, the University said it is proud to take part in the growth of downtown Mesa and hopes to strengthen ties with the city. 

"Mesa has embraced ASU’s mission of expanding access to higher education and welcomed our commitment of responsibility to the social and economic health of the communities around us," the statement read. 

While no specific plans for the new location were outlined in Giles' speech, the University's statement said they proposed it will serve as a "multi-function university center" with several resources, including those for education, research, entrepreneurship and university residential life. 

ASU’s expansion was announced Thursday morning during Giles’ State of the City address.

The University already houses the Polytechnic campus in eastern Mesa, which is home to interdisciplinary science, engineering, management, technology and education majors.

Valley Metro expanded its light rail system through Mesa last year, increasing traffic throughout the city and bringing more than 100,000 people through the once-overlooked town. The light rail development is expected to continue to grow into Mesa.

The city is planned to house technology giant Apple’s new command center, which they vowed to make a $2 billion investment in over the next ten years.

Follow the State Press for more information as the story continues.

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or on Twitter at @SuerthJessica.

×