ASU puts up top-ten finishes in several events at Huskers Invite

Tim White, Maggie Ewen lead Sun Devils in Nebraska

Track and field- Jasmine Gibbs
ASU Junior Jasmine Gibbs competes in the Women's 100 Meter Dash. Schools from across the country gathered for the Baldy Castillo Invitational at the Sun Angels Stadium in Tempe, AZ. (Photo by Gretchen Burnton)

Arizona State track and field competed in Lincoln, Nebraska for the Huskers Invite.

Although it wasn’t a team-scored meet, ASU had a decent invite as it was in the middle rankings for most events. It went up against big competition as the school faced teams like Texas, UCLA, Auburn and more.

The event started on Friday, and only six Sun Devils cracked the top ten in their events through the two-day meet.

Senior Jasmine Gibbs took ninth place in the prelim 60-meter women’s dash with a time of 7.55 seconds, which wasn’t good enough to advance to the finals. Next up, in the women’s 200-meter dash, freshman Sierra Irvin took eighth place with 25.08 seconds.

In the 60-meter hurdles, freshman Sydney Mosley barely got tenth place as she ran 8.51 seconds, and 11th-place UCLA senior Trinity Wilson got 8.52 seconds.

The top performer for the Sun Devils on Friday was sophomore Maggie Ewen, who got first place in the women's throws with 19.89 meters and her teammate, junior Ashley Weber, got seventh place at the same event with 18.14 meters.

On the men’s side, redshirt junior Kyle Long got tenth in the men’s weight throw as he threw 18.30 meters and in the 60-meter dash prelims for men, while redshirt senior Isiah Underwood got sixth place and qualified for the finals with a time of 6.73 seconds.

On Saturday, the Sun Devils placed 12 athletes in the top ten in their specific event. In the men’s shot put, ASU placed senior Ahmed Hassan in seventh place with a throw of 17.50 meters and his teammate Long got ninth place with 16.96 meters.

In men’s triple jump, it was a continued run of excellence from junior Tim White, as he got first place once again with a jump of 15.66 meters. His partner, senior Josh Dixon, got second with a jump of 15.59 meters.

For the women’s triple jump, ASU had two more runners in the top ten with junior Keyasia Tibbs in fourth place, jumping 12.51 meters, and sophomore Darreyl Woodson got sixth place with 12.09 meters.

Ewen continued to rack up the first-place spot as she got first place in the shot put competition with 16.58 meters. In the women and men 200-meter dash, ASU place three runners in that race as Irvin got eighth place in her race with 25.08 seconds. For the men, senior Reggie Lewis took third place with 21.89 seconds and his partner Underwood got fifth with a time of 21.93 seconds.

In the 800-meter race, ASU senior Trevor Landry got sixth place with a time of one minute 52 seconds and 75 milliseconds. Finally, in the men’s 60-meter dash, Underwood finished his day earning fifth place with a time of 6.739 seconds.

ASU was competitive throughout the entire meet, but the overwhelming amount of competitors in this meet overshadowed the Sun Devils.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×