ASU women's basketball narrowly defeats USC on the road

The Sun Devils are in the thick of a race for the Pac-12 regular season title.

Red shirt junior Katie Hempen shows some skillful ball handling Friday night against Utah. The Sun Devils win the game 45-42 over the Utes on Feb. 27, 2015 at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

It wasn't pretty, but ASU kept its Pac-12 title hopes alive with a win on Friday.

In the penultimate game of its 2015-16 regular season, No. 9 ASU women's basketball defeated USC 50-45 in a grind-it-out game that it never truly controlled.

Senior guard Katie Hempen led her team in scoring, putting up 11 points on 4-of-8 shooting to go along with three assists and two steals.

It was a low-scoring affair from the very beginning, with the two teams combining for 12 total points in the first quarter. The Trojans (18-11, 6-11 Pac-12) led the Sun Devils (25-4, 16-1 Pac-12) by a score of 8-4 through the first frame.

The second quarter was no different, with a myriad of turnovers from both teams and poor shooting percentages from all over the floor. ASU and USC combined for 27 turnovers in the first half alone, going into the halftime tied at 16 apiece. Both teams shot below 30 percent in the first half and struggled to get into an offensive rhythm.

In the third quarter, the Sun Devils scored more points (17) than they did in the entire first half and finally found their shooting stroke. The Trojans matched their first-half total in the third quarter with 16 points, and entered the final quarter of play trailing by one.

The three-point shot wasn't working for either squad in this game as ASU went 1-of-8 and USC went 1-of-14. The Sun Devils held a 38-26 rebounding advantage, which proved to be the difference in a game that was close throughout.

Offensive rebounds and excellent defense were to the advantage of the Sun Devils in the fourth quarter as they outscored USC 17-13 to bring the game to its final margin of five. Neither team led by double digits at any point.

This game held a greater purpose for an ASU team that is in pursuit of a Pac-12 regular season title, and its 16-1 conference record is good for first place. This first place record is dependent on No. 7 Oregon State's game with No. 13 Stanford. Because the Beavers crushed the Sun Devils 67-44 in their lone regular season matchup, they own the tiebreaker.

ASU's next matchup will be with No. 14 UCLA on Sunday to conclude the regular season.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×