Gems off the light rail: Bargain buys at the Park 'n' Swap

Graphic designed with Canva on Monday, Feb. 8, 2016.

Uncover hidden gems all over the city with reporter Nicole Dusanek as she gets off at a different light rail stop each week to explore.

Those who get off the light rail stop at Washington and 38th will be greeted with a jungle of blue canopies and the sweet smell of kettle corn popping at the Phoenix Park 'n' Swap

For college students, a bargain can be the difference between going out for dinner or another meal swipe at the dining hall. The swap meet is a unique experience that won't leave your wallet empty, costing only $2 to get in.

With jarring carnival-like rides and games set up, the swap meet feels almost like an amusement park upon first entrance.

A large slide was set up, and a flying rocket ride was spinning nearby. There were little games interspersed with the rides, costing tickets rather than dollars.

While the rides were entertaining to watch, I was here for the deals. There was something for nearly everyone. One tent was selling blankets decorated with popular sport team logos or interesting illustrations. Another tent was selling speakers, one was selling jeans, and another was selling Mexican candy. I was surprised by the quality of the materials. The jeans set up on the mannequins were fashionable and something I might purchase for a hundred dollars at a store like Buckle.

Also, household items like toilet paper, air freshener and other toiletries were sold in bulk for cheap prices. The next time I need to restock for the dorm, I know where I am going. 

There were also tents set up selling fruits and vegetables as fresh as anything one would buy at a grocery store.

The cheap prices are what first grabbed my attention at this swap meet, but it was the hidden treasures that made it fun to explore. Jewelry and watches were for sale under a thin sheet of glass, as well as some cute boots that definitely pulled me in. These items are high-quality goods for low prices.

Thinking back to the holiday season, I wish I had known about this area sooner. It would have been great to get good gifts for friends and family without spending hundreds of dollars. If there is a birthday coming up, check out the swap meet for a unique gift.

×