'The Kite Runner' is moving off novel pages and onto the Gammage stage

The touring Broadway play coming to Gammage April 9 to 14 is based on a groundbreaking book about friendship and survival

the-echo-kite-runner-at-gammage

"'The Kite Runner' is a story of loss, trauma, and living through difficult circumstances, but it's also a story of survival and revival."

"For you a thousand times over!"

The famous line from "The Kite Runner," a 2007 novel by Khaled Hosseini, signifies the love shared by friends in difficult times. Based on the highly-regarded novel, "The Kite Runner," will be coming to ASU Gammage as a play from April 9th to 14th next week. Tickets are available to purchase here.

The story, which follows Amir growing up in Afghanistan with his friend Hassan, tackles topics of past trauma in strained political regions and issues faced by those who grow up under hardship.

After experiencing the story, readers and audience members are left to reflect on complex themes and issues.

"It tackles more political and social issues, especially regarding wealth," Sophia Marino, a senior studying music theatre performance, said. 

Often regarded as a classic, the book revolves around issues faced by Amir and Hassan, boys growing up in the 1970s during the buildup to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. 

Alexander Oleksyn, a graduate student studying statistics, appreciated the book's discussion of cultural loss in Afghanistan. The tale highlights the significance of actual historical events for the Afghan people. 

"One unique thing about the book that I liked was learning about the invasion of Afghanistan from the perspective of someone living there," Oleksyn said. 

The author was born in Kabul before the Soviet occupation. 

Another significant theme in the book is the idea of trauma, specifically sexual assault. In the book, Amir is a witness to the assault of his friend, but instead of helping, he chooses to run away. This guilt builds up within Amir for the rest of his life.

Marino, who read the book as a required text in high school, mentioned how exposing such a strong topic was an important part of the book.

"(The book) started some great discussions among my peers," Marino said.

"I liked the perspective it gave on growing up in other parts of the world," Oleksyn said.

As college students, topics like these are often discussed, and learning about how such things can happen is important to understanding what life is like not just here but across the world.

Especially in the United States, history can often be one-sided from the perspective of America.

Jacob Ashley, a senior studying communications, said the viewpoint of another side of the historical story played a huge role in making this book important.

"It was a really interesting perspective that we don't get to see much of in storytelling," Ashley said. "When we hear about the war in Afghanistan, we hear what America tells us, but this book talks about the perspective of someone living in it."

READ MORE: Laughter, board games and bravos at 'Clue' the play

With themes of war and guilt, one may wonder why the book's title evokes imagery of children playing with kites. It comes from an Afghan tradition.

"There is an Afghanistan tradition of kite-battling, where you are flying kites that have shards of glass attached to the string," Oleksyn said. "You’re trying to cut the string of other kites."

This is a big part of the story, as one part of Amir and Hassan's friendship revolves around their shared interest in the tradition. The famous quote, "For you a thousand times over!" comes from their time flying kites together.

As the play comes to Gammage next week, Marino, Ashley and Oleksyn all mentioned that they would be excited to see the adaptation.

"My only hope is that they get the emotion the book had in the play," Ashley said. "The book tells a really powerful story that makes the book so special."

"The Kite Runner" is a story of loss, trauma, and living through difficult circumstances, but it's also a story of survival and revival. With everything in the world today, the story of young people in different places inspires. 

"It's a must-read book," said Marino. 

If reading isn't your thing, the play might be the perfect way to experience Hosseini's story at Gammage next week.

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Walker Smith and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at gachatht@asu.edu

×