Letter to the Editor: ASU's housing policy doesn't require freshmen to live on campus

Manzanita Hall is located on the Tempe campus.

I am writing you regarding two recent State Press columns dated February 16, 2016:

“On-Campus Housing Should Remain a Requirement”

“ASU shouldn’t force underclassmen to live in student housing”

Both columns contain misinformation about ASU’s housing policy.

ASU currently does not have a policy that “requires” first time freshmen to live in university housing. However, the benefits of living on campus are many and significant and we encourage our students, especially first-time-freshmen — to consider living in the Residential College associated with their major to maximize their experience at ASU.

We also understand that students who live in the local area may choose to live with family during their freshman year.

For reference: The university’s main housing page for Freshmen articulates that students have a choice to live on or off campus. Here is the link: https://housing.asu.edu/living/freshmen

The language on the website states, “ASU expects first-time freshmen to live on campus in the Residential College of their major and guarantees housing to all first-time freshmen. To apply to live on campus, please log into the My Housing Portal. To notify us that you will be living elsewhere, please indicate this on your to do list at My ASU.”

For further reference, here is a snapshot of the MyASU to do list where students indicate their housing plans and can decline on-campus housing. 

Respectfully,

Matthew S. Brown, Ph.D.

Assistant VP & Executive Director

Housing and Dining Services 

×