Sun Devil Snapshot: Women’s basketball stays hot, Michael Phelps distracts

Here are the top stories from this past weekend.

during a game against the Oregon State Beavers at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2015. The Sun Devils took the win over the Beavers, 86-68.

Many saw the most decorated Olympian of all time stand in a speedo for the Curtain of Distraction last week, and State Press’ Logan Newman spoke to Michael Phelps’ two accomplices in distraction. Meanwhile, women’s basketball rolled into its 15th straight win, which ties an ASU record. Here’s what you missed from the weekend:

Women’s basketball ties school record with 15th straight win

Charli Turner Thorne led ASU women’s hoops to a 63-58 victory over Oregon in Eugene Friday night, tying a school record.

Oregon had a 27-20 lead at the half, but the Sun Devils came back in the third quarter with the help of junior forward Kelsey Moos, who led her team with 17 points.

State Press meets Michael Phelps’ co-distractors

Michael Phelps appeared from behind the infamous Curtain of Distraction in ASU men’s basketball’s game against Oregon State on Thursday, but he was joined by two ASU students who spoke to State Press this weekend.

“If you put three guys that are cut in a Chippendales (outfit), it’ll be distracting, just because Michael Phelps is there, but it won’t be as humorous as having two fat dudes beside Michael Phelps,” Trevor Zero said on his appearance with Phelps.

Men’s basketball takes home loss to No. 23 Oregon

Sun Devil head coach Bobby Hurley received a technical foul in the team’s 91-74 loss to the Oregon Ducks at Wells Fargo Arena on Sunday, bringing ASU’s record to 12-10 overall (2-7 Pac-12).

The Sun Devils got slow starts in both halves of the game, and abundant fouls led to a runaway for the Ducks in the second frame.

ASU hockey outscored 22-2 in three-game weekend

The Sun Devils fell 4-1 and 8-1 to UMass Lowell on Friday and Saturday nights, respectively, and followed up the sweep with a 10-0 loss to Merrimack on Sunday.

A positive takeaway for ASU was their goal on Friday from freshman forward Ryan Stevens, the team’s first tally since Jan. 5.

ASU tennis dominates UTEP

Sun Devil senior Desirae Krawczyk took a rare loss Friday to UTEP sophomore Vivienne Kulicke, but her teammates picked up Krawczyk en route to ASU’s second win in as many days.

"I thought UTEP really competed hard, we expected a tough match again today," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "It was another good win against a scrappy team."

Gym Devil Morgan Wilson out for the season

ASU gymnastics head coach René Lyst told State Press that freshman Morgan Wilson will miss the remainder of the season after tearing her Achilles tendon.

Wrestling dominates Oregon State on Senior Night

ASU’s Tanner Hall may have started a rivalry with Oregon State’s Dhesi Armaveer Friday night in a rematch bout that ended in Hall’s favor. During the match, Armaveer and Hall saw some pushing and glaring from one another.

ASU took down Oregon State, 24-10 on Senior Night at Wells Fargo Arena.

Reach the assistant sports editor at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×