Hot bats, Kelsey Kessler lead ASU softball to win over Texas Tech

Kessler's six inning no-hitter helped secure a Sun Devil win.

Junior Kelsey Kessler (#44) and Senior Katee Aguirre (#24) do a little handshake before a play at the home game versus Texas Tech on Thursday, March 24, 2016.

No. 21 ASU Softball faced Texas Tech for their last non-conference series on Thursday, March 24.

The perfect chemistry between offense and defense led the Sun Devils to a 3-1 win against the Red Raiders.

Redshirt junior pitcher Kelsey Kessler came in to start game one against TTU and completed a six inning no hitter. Kessler had previously faced Texas Tech when she played for Kansas, so she knew what to expect coming into this game.

"I knew that they could hit off me, since they had before," she said. "So just staying tough and not over looking it."

Kessler also had four strikeouts on the night, which pushed her just one over 100 strikeouts on the season.

For Texas Tech, junior pitcher Mattison Maisel took the circle and came into the game with an ERA of 3.28 and 22 strikeouts.

Coming off last weekend's two deficits against the rivals of Arizona, ASU looked to get back into the offensive groove against the Red Raiders.

Senior center fielder Jennifer Soria put the first run on the board with a solo jack to give the Sun Devils an early lead 1-0.

Jennifer Soria's Solo Homerun from The State Press on Vimeo.

Soria noted that playing behind Kessler while she is pitching a good game is always a motivation.

"Everyone knew that she (Kessler) was dealing out there, so we knew we had to do whatever we could to keep things going," Soria said.

The second inning displayed the most heat from offense. Sophomore right fielder Nichole Chilson started off the rally with a shot up the middle to pick up a single. Senior designated player Katee Aguirre followed with a line drive to center field to get herself a double and an RBI. Freshman first baseman Ulufa Leilua also hit a single to push in Aguirre and stretch ASU's lead 3-0.

This offensive stretch caused Texas Tech to look over to the bullpen and depend on a pitching change.

Junior pitcher Dominique Alcocer came in for the Red Raiders and tied things down, not allowing the Sun Devils to score any more runs.

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak looked to close out the game in the seventh inning, but gave up a solo homer to the first batter faced to give the TTU their first run and hit of the game.

Co-interim head coach Letty Olivarez had planned to put Ryndak in to start getting her used to closing out a game.

"We're trying to work Ryndak in that closing position," Olivarez said. "And we started noticing Kessler slowing down a bit which is a common flaw that we see when things tend to fall a little."

With this only being game one of a three-game series, the Sun Devils still look to continue the winning numbers. They will face Texas Tech at 7:00 p.m tomorrow for game two of the series.

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×