Defense shines in ASU football's fifth spring practice of 2016

The Sun Devils brought their usual pressure and forced turnovers in various drills.

Defenders on the ASU football team warm up during practice outside the Verde Dickey Dome on March 18, 2016.

While there's only so much you can take away from spring practice in college football, the defensive side stood out for ASU on Wednesday morning.

With Lil Boosie's "Wipe Me Down" blaring on the loudspeakers, the team went through its routine stretches before breaking off into the tackling circuit. Position players went through ball security drills while linemen worked on their strength and technique.

Soon after position-specific stations, the first team offense and defense briefly participated in 11 on 11 drills before special teams took the field.

Redshirt junior linebacker Marcus Ball and redshirt sophomore defensive end Renell Wren each blocked a field goal during special teams work, much to the delight of defensive-minded head coach Todd Graham.

Graham said his team is adapting to its defensive personnel.

"One of the main things defensively: We want to give up less big plays," Graham said. "The biggest thing we're doing right now is being extremely simple. We let guys play, evaluate, get guys in the right spots and move from there."

Evaluation will be paramount in the decision of Graham's starting quarterback. On Wednesday, redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins split first team reps with redshirt freshmen Bryce Perkins and Brady White in the various red zone, third down and 11 on 11 drills throughout practice.

The quarterback battle has headlined spring practice so far, with no one signal caller emerging as the favorite for the starting spot in the fall. Each brings his own unique skill set to the position, and Wilkins has the advantage of seniority over his counterparts.

In addition to naming its new starting quarterback, the Sun Devils have other challenges ahead in the spring and fall — including shoring up a secondary that is looking for a fresh start after finishing last in the entire country in passing yards allowed.

Graham mentioned that his team is focusing on not giving up big plays, especially in the passing game, and that starts with players like redshirt sophomore defensive back Armand Perry.

Perry, who is in limbo between the corner and safety position headed into next season, said his team played championship defense on Wednesday — a stark contrast from Monday's practice.

"Offense got us on Monday," Perry said. "So we came out with the attitude that we've gotta get them back. We were fired up and that started from the first period of practice."

Perry and his teammates were clearly fired up, and it showed when the defense forced turnovers, batted down passes and recorded a handful of sacks within the various drills. Ball and Wren's blocked field goals on the special teams side provided energizers for that group as well.

Ball is getting first team reps on defense in place of redshirt senior linebacker Laiu Moeakiola, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Ball said he and his teammates came out Wednesday with a great passion and effort, and were "pretty hyped" after the blocked field goal.

"That set the tone of the practice," Ball said. "I feel like those couple plays set how we were going to practice from there on out. We take special teams very seriously."

Notes

• Former ASU wide receiver Jaelen Strong was in attendance on Wednesday and shot photos of practice with a personal camera. Strong, who is currently playing in the NFL for the Houston Texans, was arrested in Scottsdale on February 28 for suspicion of marijuana possession.
  • Redshirt junior linebacker Chans Cox suffered a right foot injury and is out for the rest of spring ball. Cox's status for the 2016-17 season is uncertain.
  • Redshirt senior running back/ defensive back De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes went down with what appeared to be a left leg injury at Wednesday's practice before returning to action later on.
  • ASU's next spring practice is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Friday in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×