ASU women's golf finishes 6th at SDSU's March Mayhem

Linnea Strom and Roberta Liti led the Sun Devils, going a combined 5-2-1 in their matches this week.

Roberta Liti, Women's Golf, 04-10-2015
Freshman, Roberta Liti tees off on hole four on Friday, April 10, 2015 at Karsten Golf Club in Tempe, AZ.

The ASU women's golf team traveled to San Diego this week where they took part in some March Madness of their own. 

San Diego State University's March Mayhem at The Farms is one of the few annual collegiate tournaments that boasts a team match-play format. 

The 16-team field was seeded based on current records as well as their national rankings.

The Sun Devils entered the tournament seeded 5th, pitted against the No. 12 seed University of California, Davis. 

The Lady Devils wasted no time with the Mustangs of UC Davis, taking the first three matches to secure the victory. Freshman Linnea Strom played in the one slot for the Sun Devils and won her match with a par on the par-4 11th to increase her lead to eight holes with seven to play, silencing UC Davis' sophomore Ally Zeng. 

ASU junior stand out Monica Vaughn and sophomore Sophia Zeeb also followed the pace set by Strom. Vaughn won her match with a par on the par-4 13th, halving the hole with her opponent but winning the match six up with five to play. 

Zeeb also won her match, going two up with one to play, a round that included one birdie and 14 pars.

Sophomore Roberta Liti halved her match, while freshman Madison Kerley's match was stopped at the fifteenth hole after ASU clinched the victory over UC Davis after just three matches.

Day Two had the Sun Devils taking on Pac-12 rival and No. 4-seeded Stanford. 

After finishing off her opponent in short fashion a day earlier, Strom was taken the distance by Stanford junior Casey Danielson where they eventually halved the match. Strom was trailing for 17 of the 18 holes, ultimately paring the 18th to Danielson's bogey to secure the half. 

Vaughn (5 up, 3 holes left) and Liti (1 up) were the only two Sun Devil Golfers to win their matches. At the end of the five matches the score was tied 2-2-1, however the Sun Devils got dealt bad luck; after losing a tough tie breaker, they were placed into the consolation bracket where they would face No. 8-seeded Oregon the following day.

Although they were no longer in contention for the tournament title, the Lady Devils still came out firing against the Ducks. ASU won four of its five matches on Tuesday, paving the way to a Wednesday afternoon showdown with the host school, No. 7 seeded SDSU.

Strom again led ASU off to a strong start, playing a flawless, bogey-free round of golf to secure a 6 & 4 victory over SDSU sophomore Georgia Lacey.

Vaughn started off her round strong with a birdie on the par-4 first to take an early lead over her competitor. She relinquished her lead after two bogeys on holes 8 and 12. Vaughn walked to the par-5 18th hole down one to her competitor, sophomore Mila Chaves, only to sink a birdie putt to halve the match.

The back nine gave the last three Sun Devil players much difficulty. Zeeb, Liti, and Kerley combined for +6 score while only winning four holes between them. 

SDSU secured the fifth place spot, winning the last three matches 2 & 1 (Krause over Zeeb), 3 & 2 (Blair over Liti), and 4 & 3 (Hendrickson over Kerley).

The women finished 6th in Mayhem at The Farms.

Reach the reporter at Braxton.Fox@asu.edu or follow @braxton_fox_II on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×