ASU beach volleyball freshmen contribute to record amount of wins

All transitioning to the sand, the trio of freshmen start their collegiate careers.

ASU beach volleyball freshman Natalie Braun dives for the ball on March 4, 2016.

With more wins already than last season’s total, ASU beach volleyball’s newest freshmen recruits have proven to be as talented as they tackle the sand alongside experienced teammates.

Freshman Natalie Braun pursued beach throughout high school, unlike most players. With four state championship wins during her time at Xavier College Preparatory, her skill led her to ASU.

“Both of my parents came to ASU, so it’s always been one of the top college options for me to choose from,” Braun said. “When I started talking to Jackie (Bunker) and Jason (Watson) about coming here, it just started to fit together and it was the perfect fit.”

Since starting her collegiate career this year, Braun (1-8) has competed alongside several teammates, including freshman Kylie Pickrell, sophomore Frances Giedraitis and senior Logan Rae. Braun and Pickrell played for four matches, going 1-3; however, Pickrell decided to devote her time to the spring indoor competitions after spring break.

ASU beach volleyball interim coach Jacquelyn Bunker said the rotation of partners is difficult for Braun, but it's improved her consistency.

“One of the great things about her is that she really is a team player,” Bunker said. “She’s had a hard role of playing with a lot of different people and against a lot of different teams, but she always comes out and works hard.”

The other two freshmen, Bethany Wedepohl (9-9) and Jourdan Parnell (9-11) are roommates.They played together for the first time last week, competing in the fourth seed and leaving the four-match weekend with a 2-2 record.

From the sounds of it, Bunker plans to leave them on the same court.

Wedepohl played for the indoor Shenu Volleyball Club last year. She got in contact with Bunker, and discussed her dream of attending a large university while still being close to her Phoenix home.

“For me, I chose sand because it was new,” Wedepohl said. “It’s just a whole new environment, and it’s way more laid back. (ASU) has exceeded my expectations.”

Due to the fact that Wedepohl switched to beach volleyball just a year ago, Bunker commented on her work ethic.

“Bethany is one of the hardest workers on our team,” Bunker said. “She always wants to know what she can do to improve. I think sometimes the challenge for her is just to relax and be patient with the process of improving.”

Parnell, like Braun and Wedepohl, started with indoor. She eventually transitioned to beach, and chose to leave San Diego for the Valley.

“I met Jackie last summer and I was considering other schools, but no one has pursued me like her, as a coach,” Parnell said. “Having that, it was hands down an easy decision to decide to come here.”

Although Parnell has played sand longer than her partner, the two constantly find ways to improve their multi-faceted game.

“Jourdan has really improved offensively,” Bunker said. “She went home over Christmas break, and you could tell she definitely worked hard on improving her offense game. She came back with a pretty strong cut shot and good line shot which has helped us win some matches this year.”

ASU's nine wins this year has already eclipsed last season's total of five. The freshmen notice the improvement in their counterparts daily.

With nine wins already this season compared to last season’s five, the freshmen notice the improvement in their counterparts daily.

“I think individually and as a team we’ve improved so much,” Wedepohl said. “Coming out here, then verses now, I think I’m a whole new athlete and we’re a whole new team.”

Related links:

Follette becomes first ASU beach volleyball player to win 30 games

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott visits ASU

Reach the reporter at ncorr@asu.edu or follow @natalieorr19 on Twitter.

×