ASU football scrimmages for first time in spring of 2016

The Sun Devils ditched their practice uniforms in favor of the real deal on Friday.

Tashon Smallwood (90) faces off against Sam Jones (76) in a drill during Friday's practice. 1 April 2016

For the first time this spring, the ASU football team scrimmaged in full uniform on Friday, inching closer to the end of spring ball and getting ready for summer workouts.

Before the scrimmage began, the Sun Devils went through their usual position drills — with the offense wearing the maroon and gold Pat Tillman uniforms and the defense donning an all-white look. Neither group had any form of logo on its helmets.

While the scrimmage portion of practice wasn't available to the media, defensive coordinator Keith Patterson and assistant coach Jay Norvell discussed the scrimmage after practice in lieu of head coach Todd Graham — who is traveling to Auburn, Alabama, with offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey for a coaches conference led by Auburn head football coach Gus Malzahn.

Linebackers Christian Sam and Brandon Matthews, defensive lineman Edmond Boateng, defensive back Armand Perry, wide receiver Ellis Jefferson, offensive lineman Marshal Nathe and tight end Kody Kohl were all non-participants in the scrimmage.

Patterson said synergy stood out today at practice among coaches and players — something he said is a lasting theme since he's been with the program.

"I don't really know how to describe it," Patterson said. "I just like the feel of how everything is going — it's been really enjoyable for me."

As far as the scrimmage is concerned, Patterson said the play of defensive back De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes has stood out to him throughout the spring and especially in the scrimmage.

"It's like working with a clean board," Patterson said. "There's not a lot of bad habits. Everything that you try to teach him — that's what it's supposed to be, and he's trying to execute it."

Hayes has been a standout performer this spring, but a major standout of the past few months has been the hiring of Lindsey following the departure of Mike Norvell to Memphis — along with plenty of turnover across the coaching staff. If there's been one theme to spring ball, it's transition — whether that be in the coaching staff, on the offensive line or at the quarterback position.

Redshirt sophomore Manny Wilkins and redshirt freshmen Bryce Perkins and Brady White continue to battle for the starting quarterback spot, with no clear starter emerging so far this spring according to the coaching staff.

Assistant coach Jay Norvell said he was impressed by the play of the offensive side in Fridays scrimmage, noting the development of the young trio of quarterbacks.

"I think they can all learn from some of the mistakes made in camp," Norvell said. "I think it's a three-man race right now and as we finish up spring and go to work in the summer the cream will rise to the top."

Junior defensive lineman Tashon Smallwood also had high praise for the Sun Devil signal-callers.

"They're all doing well as far as taking leadership and doing what the coaches ask them to do," Smallwood said.

ASU has two weeks of spring practices remaining, with the next one scheduled for Monday, April 4th in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×