ASU softball swept by Utah, drops sixth straight game

The Sun Devils allowed 19 runs this weekend to get swept by the unranked Utes.

Jennifer Soria hits a single against Michigan on Sunday, March 1, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe.

ASU softball couldn’t fight off the sweep against Utah. The Utes got a walk-off base hit in the seventh to win 6-5.

Kelsey Kessler (13-8, 2.88 ERA) pitched all seven innings for the Sun Devils, giving up six runs on 12 hits. Despite the runs, ASU was able to support her.

Utah led 1-0 until the fourth, when senior second baseman Nikki Girard hit her first triple of the season. She drove home junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales to tie the game.

Girard was pulled for a pinch-runner, but it was to no avail. A fielder's choice nabbed her at home plate and but junior catcher Sashel Palacios on first.

Palacios eventually advanced to third. Senior centerfielder Jennifer Soria grounded to the third baseman. It was bobbled, allowing Palacios to reach, and then Soria tried advancing to second.

In the ensuing run-down, Palacios was able to score. Soria got to second safely. The Sun Devils went up 2-1 to take their first lead of the series.

However, it was short-lived. Utah scored three runs on four hits to regain the top spot 4-2.

A surge of energy coursed through the Sun Devils dugout in the fifth inning. There was some dancing and singing inside, and the team had a pivotal chance to regain the lead after manufacturing a bases-loaded, no outs situation.

Freshman first baseman Ulufa Leilua scored after Gonzales reached first on a fielder’s choice. Then, Girard struck again with a clutch single to centerfield tying the game 4-4.

ASU managed to reclaim the lead in the sixth inning. Senior catcher Katee Aguirre reached first on a throwing error, yielding an unearned run to give the Sun Devils their second lead of the series, 5-4.

They weren't able to leave Utah without more damage.

With one out, Kessler gave up an RBI single tying the game 5-5. The next batter hit another single to give Utah the walk-off win.

The Sun Devils return home to take on No. 9 Oregon Friday night at 7 p.m.

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×