ASU water polo scores 28 total points in doubleheader

Four different players scored hat tricks in Saturday's two games.

Freshman Maud Koopman takes a shot against the University of Pacific on Sunday, March 20, 2016 at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex in Tempe, AZ. ASU water polo won 5-3.

No. 5 ASU water polo swept a northern California doubleheader against San Jose State and CSU Monterey Bay on Saturday afternoon.

ASU vs. San Jose State

In the Sun Devils' first match, they battled No. 11 San Jose State. Unlike last week's game that required a game-winner in the fourth overtime, ASU was able to defeat the Spartans 13-8 and maintain control throughout. The Sun Devils scored double digits for the tenth time this season.

Offensive standouts for ASU

The Sun Devils had a great showing on offense. The charge was lead by freshmen attacker Maud Koopman, who led the team in scoring with a hat trick and tallied eight total points. Her five assists was a career high.

Her match gave her the team-lead in goals (29), assists (23) and points (52).

Senior center Daisy Carter followed last week’s magical performance up by recording a hat trick of her own. While that was her fourth hat trick of the season, Carter added three assist and two blocks. The scoring wealth was spread by three other Sun Devils: sophomore attacker Lena Mihailovic, senior defender Ago Gao, and senior center Abbey Kerth. All three athletes found the goal two times apiece.

ASU defense held its ground

Freshmen goalie Mia Mycraw played solid in the cage for the Sun Devils, stopping 16 shots and grabbing one steal. The Sun Devils also went 6-for-10 on the power play. In contrast, the Spartans shot 5-for-9 on the power play. SJSU and ASU combined for 21 exclusions in the match.

ASU vs. CSU Monterey Bay

The Sun Devils routed CSU Monterey Bay in convincing fashion, winning 15-3 in Saturday’s second doubleheader match.

ASU bench stepping up

With the Sun Devils playing so dominantly, the starters received some rest and the beach contributed. Sophomore utility player Taylor Bertrand scored career-high four goals in Saturday’s competition. In the cage, junior goalie Taylor Barrett clenched nine saves for the second time in her career. Freshman center Rosie Huck came off the bench firing, adding three goals of her own.

ASU went on a scoring frenzy against CSUMB with five different players netting at least one goal. The Sun Devils also played solid defense, accumulating 15 steals as a team.

Looking Forward 

Next Friday April 15, ASU will be back in action playing UCLA in Los Angles, California at 3:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at chaz.frazier@asu.edu or follow @chaz_frazier on Twitter.

×