Best of ASU 2016

Best of ASU 2016

SPM asked and ASU answered! We've compiled a list of all the best places on or near each of the four main campuses based on your votes. Be sure to check out SPM's Best of ASU issue on racks now! 

Tempe

Best Place to Hide on Campus: 

Hayden Library

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

Hayden Library: The largest of four libraries on the ASU Tempe campus is named the best place to hide. Don’t think that just because it is at the center of campus and usually very populated (even at all hours of the night) that it can’t be a good place to escape the craziness that is ASU. With endless nooks and crannies to scuttle away to, one can find a silent sanctuary to perfect lab reports, edit research papers or rigorously procrastinate on important assignments. With an endless supply of overnight passes for those with an ASU ID, the 24-hour study hub provides all the necessary tools for every hard-working student that needs a few hours away from the roomies.

Check out the basement of Hayden Library for its modern aesthetic. The study rooms spread throughout the library serve as a great place to try and tackle those online classes you’ve been putting off all semester with its quiet atmosphere (and locking door). 

During fall and spring semesters, Hayden is open 24 hours from Sunday at 10 a.m. to Friday at midnight. ASU only (ID required) from midnight to 7 a.m. when Hayden Library is open 24 hours.

Best Off-Campus Housing: 

922 Place

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

With great views, an ideal location and raging pool parties, it’s no surprise that 922 Place was voted the best off-campus living of the year. Located almost directly in the middle of all surrounding housing for the majority of  ASU students, a quick walk or drive in any direction ranks this complex number one. If a short walk to campus, spacious living and useful amenities, like the workout and computer rooms, are all important qualities in a living space, 922 surely won’t disappoint.

Best Healthy Eats: 

Freshii

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

1290 S. Normal Ave.

Mon - Thurs: 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. 

Friday: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Acclaimed for being one of the only vegan and vegetarian friendly options on campus, Freshii is conveniently located near the W.P. Carey School of Business and has many interesting menu options. The portions are filling and the food is delicious, especially the breakfast burritos! This is a great, quick-stop for grub if you are headed to class. The menu items are solid and don’t require customization. Healthy options are waiting for you right inside! 

Best Online Elective: 

Sex, Love & Romance in the Mass Media

The best online elective class is MCO 473 – Sex, Love, and Romance in the Mass Media. This class delves into the relationship between mass media and stereotypic images of sex, love and romance. It discusses how the media constructs and reinforces these unrealistic notions. MCO 473 is an upper-level mass communication class but is available to students of all majors. For the fall of 2016, it is offered as an online session A class.

Best Drive-Thru: 

Raising Cane’s 

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

960 E. University Dr.

Sun - Wed: 9 a.m. - Midnight 

Thurs - Sat: 9 a.m. - 2:30 a.m.

Known for it’s special sauce and mouth-watering chicken, Raising Cane’s is one of ASU’s all-time favorite spots to grab a quick and hearty meal. Whether it’s just to hang out with friends or to celebrate an ASU sports win, Raising Cane’s is one of the most popular restaurants at the Tempe campus. When founder Todd Graves first thought up the idea to open a chicken finger restaurant, he received the worst grade on his business plan for a class in college and was also met with the same reaction from banks. Graves opened up Raising Cane’s first location in 1996. The University Drive location is nicknamed the “Pitchfork” and has become an integral part of ASU culture. Any student looking to grab a bite at a mouth-watering restaurant should look no further because Raising Cane’s hits the spot!

Best Pizza: 

Mellow Mushroom

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

740 S. Mill Ave., D100 

Mon - Sun: 10:30 a.m. - 2 a.m.

Located in the heart of Mill Avenue, this pizza place will satisfy everyone from vegetarians to hard-core carnivores. You can build your own pizza or choose from the “specialty” items. Try the “Red Skin Potato Pie” for a truly unique pizza experience. It’s basically a baked potato spread on pizza dough. It’s not as weird as it sounds, we promise. Not in the mood for a slice? Enjoy a tasty calzone, chow down on a hoagie, munch on a burger (a veggie option is available!), or fill up on classic appetizers like pretzels or garlic bread. Plus, if you’re 21 or older, a variety of craft beer is available. to you.

Best MU Restaurant: 

Qdoba

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

MU Tempe Campus

Mon - Thurs: 8 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. 

Sat - Sun: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Qdoba is the best food in the MU, with fast-paced service, tons of options and great hours! If you’re craving Mexican food on your lunch break or between classes, stop by Qdoba. You can customize your order by choosing the meat, vegetables and toppings. They have great taco salads with a large crispy shell or delicious burritos. This is a great option for students living on campus that need a quick, tasty bite to eat!

Best Bar on Mill: 

Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

640 S. Mill Ave. 

Mon - Fri: 11 a.m. - 2 a.m. 

Sat - Sun: 10 a.m. - 2 a.m.

Although Whiskey Row is known for its cool country vibe, locals line up outside every weekend for much more than that. With two beer-filled bars and game patios, daily food and drink specials, acoustic Fridays, country dance party Thursdays and more, it’s no wonder it’s our top pick for best bar on Mill Avenue. 

The bar, created by critically-acclaimed country singer 

Dierks Bentley is just one of the locaions in the Valley. Tempe, Scottsdale and soon Gilbert all have a little taste of country  thanks to this bar. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to two-step or line dance, you can still stomp your metaphorical boots any night at this establishment. 

The open atmosphere allows for great (drunk) people watching with friends. The covered patios have a foosball and ping-pong table, cornhole and life-size Jenga. People may come for the food and booze, but they stay for a good ‘ol country time!

Best Date Night Destination: 

Culinary Dropout

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

149 S. Farmer Ave. 

Mon - Wed: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Thurs - Fri: 11 a.m. - 1 a.m. 

Saturday: 10 a.m. - 1 a.m. 

Sunday: 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Next time you’re looking for a perfect place to take that special someone, head over to Culinary Dropout. Whether you’re trying to impress a new flame or looking for a weekly destination, give the restaurant a go. We recommend sharing an appetizer! But don’t forget dessert! Top off the night with their baked-to-order Monkey Break then head over to the north side of the building to The Yard for some drinks and cornhole. The unforgettable food and homey atmosphere will have you (and your date) back in no time. 

Best Tacos: 

Fuzzy’s TACO SHOP

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

414 S. Mill Ave., #115

Sunday: 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Mon - Thurs: 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. 

Fri - Sat: 10 a.m. - 3 a.m.

Fuzzy’s superiority in their taco-making is clear in their use of the freshest ingredients, killer deals and energetic atmosphere. Located close to campus at the northern end of Mill Avenue, it’s the perfect place for ASU students to come and enjoy only the best Mexican cuisine within walking distance of campus. You can join the completely legitimate and totally not made up organization, FFC (Fuzzy’s Fan Club), every Tuesday night for the infamous Taco Tuesdays, in which tacos are only $1.50 each. So, if you ever find yourself craving fresh and delicious tacos, head on over to Fuzzy’s! 

DOWNTOWN

Best day date: 

Phoenix Art Museum

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

1625 N. Central Ave.

Sunday: Noon - 5 p.m.

Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Thurs - Sat: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Although snuggling up on a couch watching “Parks & Recreation” for five hours with your significant other on a lazy Sunday afternoon can be wonderful, sometimes you just need to get out of the house. If you’re in need of a place to go when boredom strikes, head downtown to the Phoenix Art Museum. Currently, the museum has a Michelangelo exhibit, and in case your sporty boyfriend or girlfriend tries to claim he or she “not into art,” there’s an exhibit on iconic Diamondbacks baseball cards.

In addition to the international exhibits showcased at the Phoenix Art Musuem, it boasts an impressive permanent collection with pieces by the likes of Monet and Picasso. If you’re looking to take your day date to the next level, make sure to check out the “Firefly Room” — an infinity room by Yayoi Kusama whose walls are lined with mirrors and filled with colored LED lights. The room is said to be ethereal and evoke romantic emotions, so “treat yo self” and head down  to the museum with your “boo.” 

It’s $10 for students with their ID and $15 without. Basically, it’s about the same price as going to see a movie, but you can have a conversation and make some memories. 

Best Late-Night Eats: 

Welcome Diner

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

924 E. Roosevelt St. 

Tues - Fri: 5 p.m. - 2 a.m.

Sat - Sun: 5 p.m. - 2 a.m.

Closed Mondays

The Welcome Diner. It’s one of those names you keep hearing, but for some, it is a place yet to be ventured. It’s primarily an outdoor restaurant with a cool and relaxed atmosphere. At 8:30 p.m., it’s still packed with customers sitting on eclectic chairs around large communal tables and others standing around waiting for an open spot to grab, with a whiskey sour in hand. The aroma of delicious food floats in the air, something you can’t quite put your finger on. The menu is filled with traditional items with a twist and more exotic cuisine, (like the Peanut Butter Burger, which comes highly recommended). Having trouble making a selection? You can’t go wrong with the Munster and smoked Gouda grilled cheese! We recommend this location for a cute date night or an outing with friends. 

Best Concert Venue: 

Crescent Ballroom

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

308 N. Second Ave.

Mon - Wed: 11 a.m. - 1 a.m.

Thurs - Fri: 11 a.m. - 2 a.m.

Sat - Sun: 5 p.m. - 2 a.m.

Nestled between a parking lot and an auto body shop, Crescent Ballroom is a staple concert venue in downtown Phoenix. The urban feel, spacious outdoor seating, indoor stage and energetic staff make for the perfect concert venue for local bands and musicians to perform to fans any day of the week. The food has received rave reviews, in part because the menu is developed by Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco. We recommend the tacos!

Best Off-Campus Housing: 

Roosevelt Point

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

888 N. Fourth St. 

Looking for a modern home away from home in the heart of downtown Phoenix? Roosevelt Point is a great option for students who want a memorable college experience. The apartment complex features two pools and hot tubs, and two exercise rooms and game rooms. The complex offers studios to four-bedroom units. Each unit features upgraded kitchen appliances and granite countertops, a washer and dryer. It’s no wonder that it was voted downtown’s best off-campus housing. 

Best Place to Cry: 

Cronkite edit bays

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

Walter Cronkite School

Rooms 320 & 662

555 N. Central Ave.

Mon - Thurs: 7 a.m. - Midnight

Friday: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Sat - Sun: Noon - 9 p.m.

The stress created by what seems like endless projects and exams can leave us all looking for a good spot to shed some tears in between classes. If you’re on the downtown campus and feel the waterworks coming, make your way to Cronkite’s third or sixth floor edit bays. The edit bays have individual rooms with a sliding door, so you’re free to close it, throw on some shades and weep like nobody’s watching. We all have those days. 

Best Place to Pretend You’re Classy: 

Phoenix Symphony

1 N. First St., Suite 200 

Do you have a date that you’re nervous about? Are you looking for a place that will help you earn brownie points? Well, the Phoenix Symphony at Symphony Hall in downtown Phoenix is just for you. Since 1947, The Phoenix Symphony has been hosting performaces and introducing classical concerts to its guests. From September to June of each year, the concerts at Symphony Hall, as well as other locations throughout the Valley, are engaging audiences. You better put your formal attire on if you plan on attending a concert. This venue is amazing and the variety of concerts will keep you on your toes. Upcoming shows in 2016 include “A Night at the Oscars,” “Star Wars: The Music” and “The Piano Man: The Music of Billy Joel.” Tickets can be purchased on their website or at the the box office. 

Best drive-thru: 

Taco Bell

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

301 E. McDowell Road

Sun - Thurs: 7 a.m. - 1 a.m.

Fri -  Sat: 7 a.m. - 2 a.m.

Hungry in downtown and need a quick bite? Taco Bell on McDowell Rd. and Third St. is just a couple of blocks from the downtown campus and can feed any budget. Be sure to try the Doritos Locos Taco or the new Quesalupa. Finish off with some Cinnabon Delights or a Rockstar Freeze. If you’re feeling really hungry, order a 12-pack of tacos for only $12.99. 

Best Place to Grab a Drink:

Valley Bar

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

130 N. Central Ave.

Mon. - Fri: 4 p.m. - 2 a.m.

Sat - Sun: 6 p.m. - 2 a.m.

130 N. Central Ave.

Mon. - Fri: 4 p.m. - 2 a.m.

Sat - Sun: 6 p.m. - 2 a.m.

Find the red neon sign to the right of the fire escape in the alley off of Monroe Street and Central Avenue. That’s the best place to grab a drink in downtown Phoenix. Open the door beneath the neon sign, and you’ll immediately walk down the stairs. Once underground, you’ll find part Arizona history, part mystery and a whole lot of unexpected fun. The basement bar is separated into two separate rooms: the music hall and the rose room. The music hall, which also has its own bar, hosts weekly live band performances and comedy shows, though some shows aren’t free. The rose room is a lounge with dozens of tables to hang out, eat delicious food provided by Short Leash Hotdogs and play board games with friends at. The underground bar also features a game room with billiards, darts, Skee-Ball and pinball. Games are free on Mondays, and happy hour runs all day Sunday, and Monday through Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. The cocktails are classics with a modern twist, typically named after local politicians. Our favorite pick: “The Rose” Mofford, a light and sweet vodka cocktail. Valley Bar is unlike any other bar and caters to young and old, so get there early because the line to get in on weekends almost always wraps around the alley. Shh! Don’t tell anyone we told you, but the best time to visit is during the week! 

Best Cup of Coffee: 

Cartel Coffee Lab

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

1 N. First St. 

Mon - Fri 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Saturday 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Step inside Cartel and you will quickly be swept into the hip vibe of an industrial study lounge brimming with creative conversation and quality cups of caffeine. Cartel is a popular coffee joint, with several locations around the valley. They brew coffee and tea and even bake delicious pastries, like their famous pop tarts. The downtown location is conveniently located for your early morning coffee run, just a few blocks away from the ASU downtown campus. Next time you need a coffee fix, try out an iced latte with agave or if you need extra study fuel, opt for a cold brew. Chances are you’ll run into someone you know at Cartel or make a new friend in their friendly, community-driven atmosphere.

Best Place to Take a Nap: 

First Amendment Forum

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

Walter Cronkite School

2nd floor

555 N. Central Ave. 

The First Amendment Forum is in the heart of the Walter Cronkite School. The open area is home to many events such as Must See Monday and sports viewing parties, but during the day it’s often empty, quiet and a nice place to take a quick nap. The sound of CNN playing quietly in the background and the comfy cushioned chairs make this the perfect spot to catch up on sleep between classes.

WEST

Best Burger: 

Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

4929 W. Bell Road

Glendale, AZ 85308

Sun - Thurs: 10:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Fri - Sat: 10:30 a.m. - 11 p.m.

If you’re on the hunt for an amazing burger, fries and a shake, look no further than Freddy’s Steakburger. With thin, crispy patties, fresh toasted buns and the most amazing fries you can get at a fast food restaurant, this place never disappoints. It’s a great place to hang out near campus and grab a college budget-friendly meal. Make sure you test out the shakes as well as the burgers because the shakes are just as good! 

Best Dessert: 

Rita’s Italian Ice

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

8251 W. Union Hills Dr.

Glendale, AZ 85308

Sun - Sat: Noon - 9 p.m. 

What better way to cool off on those hot afternoons than a sweet treat of Italian ice at Rita’s? Rita’s Italian Ice has the friendliest staff (who love to give samples!) and are always willing to give recommendations. They have Italian ice and custard and their slogan of “Ice. Custard. Happiness” is all too true. With amazing flavors and great combinations, you can’t go wrong with Rita’s to satisfy that sweet tooth. 

Best Place to Find New Music: 

Zia Record Exchange

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

2510 W. Thunderbird Road

Phoenix, AZ 85023

Everyday: 10 a.m. - Midnight

You ever wonder where people get all their vinyls? It’s probably at Zia. This is a great place to explore the racks for new music or old music. Need a Mulan CD? They have it. Need a Rihanna vinyl? They have it. Need some super hipster band no one has ever heard of? You can find it there, if you dig. You can even buy a bag full of miscellaneous records. You’ll receive a dark, black bag of which you won’t know what’s inside until you open it. Head here next time you are in need of some new tunes. 

Best Pizza: 

Humble Pie

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

5703 N. 83rd Ave.

Peoria, AZ 85382

Mon - Sat: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Sunday: 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Right on the edge of Peoria’s P83, you can grab an amazing slice of pizza that will make you wish carbs didn’t exist. Humble Pie offers an assortment of pizzas (personal size, so you don’t have to share), pastas and salads. Nothing on the menu is bad. There restaurant has the friendliest bartenders and the place exudes happy, Italian vibes. Though a little more expensive than college kids are used to, it’s totally worth it. Your taste buds, but maybe not your waistline, will thank you. 

POLY

Best Mexican Food: 

Burrito Shack

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

5663 S. Power Road 

Mesa, AZ 85212

Mon - Sat: 6:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.

The students at ASU’s Polytechnic campus absolutely got this one right. Burrito Shack is an unexpected treat! You would never know how incredible this place was if you just drove by. Their location is literally designed to look like a shack on the side of the road. But, once you step outside your car, you’ll be hit with the intense aroma of authentic Mexican food. Check out Conni’s Favorite, a green chili chicken burrito, mixed with red sauce, onion, pico de gallo and cheese. In no way, shape or form will any student be disappointed in their menu. Although it is quite a drive from the other three campuses, it is absolutely worth it. The burrito shack offers huge portions, inexpensive prices and a taste that cannot be beat.

Best Hot Dog: 

Higley Hot Dog Stand

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

3105 E. Williams Field Road

Gilbert, AZ 85295

Mon - Sat: 10:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Sunday: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.

You’ll drive right past it if you aren’t looking for it — unless you are keeping your eyes peeled for a giant hotdog perched atop the building. Higley Hot Dog Stand is essentially a large trailer wherein you order on one side with just a window and can eat on the other side where there are red, nylon booths. The Chicago-style hot dog is a crowd favorite, and the kind older woman taking orders at the window is incredibly helpful when making a decision. You can smell the hot dogs cooking on the grill, an aroma that fills the entirety of the stand and the surrounding parking lot. 

Best Splurge: 

Romeo’s Euro Cafe

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

Heritage Court 

207 N. Gilbert Road

Gilbert, AZ 85234

Mon - Sat: 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Sunday: Noon - 9 p.m.

Nestled in the heart of downtown Gilbert in a strip mall, Romeo’s Euro Cafe occupies a corner shop. With $5 wine every day until 5 p.m., this place is a hit. But they offer far more than just wine. The restaurant offers delectable Greek-style meals, pastries and even some cute knick-knacks for sale at the counter. The menu is large for a Greek restaurant, really incorporating something for everyone and every occasion. Though it’s a bit of a drive from the Polytechnic campus, it is totally worth it. You can head to Romeo’s for appetizers and drinks, and then explore the rest of downtown Gilbert, and make an evening out of it! It’s a pricey menu but totally worth it. 

Best Coffee: 

Liberty Market 

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

230 N. Gilbert Road

Gilbert AZ 85234

Sun - Thurs: 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. 

Fri - Sat: 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Located in a historic corner building of Old Town Gilbert, Liberty Market is the perfect stop to grab a cup of joe, whether that be for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The restaurant dates back to 1935 and has become a staple spot for ASU Polytechnic students. Founded by partners, Chef David, Kiersten Traina and Gilbert restaurateur Joe and Cindy Johnson, Liberty Market aims to provide a unique, local dining experience that feels like home. It’s not surprising to see students with headphones, working away with an iced latte by their side. In addition to coffee, Liberty Market cooks up weekly and weekend specials that showcase the creativity of the restaurant’s passionate chefs. 

Best Dessert:

Frost Gelato

Photo by State Press Magazine Staff

2150 E. Williams Field Road

Gilbert, AZ 85295

Sun - Thurs: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Fri - Sat: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.

With more than 50 gelato and 20 sorbet flavors, Frost Gelato is the best place in town if you’re craving something sweet. This gelato shop is always bustling, and the line of customers is usually out the door. Frost Gelato is in the perfect location to spend an afternoon cooling off in the Arizona summer. You can go for a classic flavor, like Dark Chocolate or Mint Chocolate Chip, or try one of their unique flavors, including Cinnamon Apple Pie or Alpencaramel. Frost also creates gelato cakes and caters events, so you can have gelato for every occasion.

×