Usually, the new year brings resolutions, but this year brought new temptations. Since 2015 was exchanged for 2016 on all our calendars and classwork, five new restaurants have popped up around Tempe. 

Whether they are old friends making a reappearance or new faces on the block, here are some new places to try before heading home for summer.

Mojo Yogurt

411 S. Mill Ave., Tempe

It’s back! Mojo Yogurt has had a home on Mill Avenue in the past, but after closing it has reopened at a new location. This frozen yogurt shop has a retro vibe and a serve-yourself style. Customers can sample different tastes and make their own creation. After choosing a yogurt (or two, or three) the customer can pick from a variety of toppings. It’s pay-by-weight, so as long as the bowl doesn’t get too heavy, the cost will be low as well. While yogurt shops are growing in popularity, Mojo yogurt offers a uniquely relaxing atmosphere for anyone to sit back and take a breather.

Blaze Pizza

105 W. University Dr., Tempe

All it takes is 180 seconds and a personal pizza is hot, fresh and straight out of a giant oven to the customer's plate. This is what Blaze pizza is all about — fresh ingredients and fast service. This is the first Arizona location in the Blaze Pizza chain, and for any foodie who likes the concept of make-your-own pizza, it's the place to be. Blaze not only appeals to pizza lovers, but sports fans too, because it has some big name backers, including LeBron James. While this may be the first Arizona location, it won't be the last. Locations are set to open in Phoenix, Avondale and Tucson. 

Jalsa Ice Cream and Bakery

1808 E. Elliot Road, #106 Tempe

Jalsa Ice Cream and Bakery is a bit of a drive, but for anyone willing to make the trek, this new place offers universally loved desserts with an Indian twist. In Hindi, Jalsa means "celebration." Anyone can stop by for one of its 24 ice cream flavors, with options such as ginger or mango. They also offer conventional flavors, like chocolate and vanilla. Of course, this new place is more than just an ice cream parlor, it is also a bakery that offers cake pops and cupcakes to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Cornish Pasty Co.

425 S. Mill Ave., Tempe

Anyone who has been to a Cornish Pasty Co. restaurant, knows that the chic style and unique menu is something to enjoy. Cornish Pasty Co. has had a home in Tempe that has been a success for quite some time now. However, now there is a new location open on Mill Avenue in the heart of the college town, and it is shaking things up. To cater the classic college wants and needs, this restaurant offers a limited menu that changes frequently to feature specials not normally offered at the other restaurants and also includes a full bar. For those who do not know the history, Cornish Pasty sells, well exactly that, Cornish pasties — a throwback to the 13th Century when they were traditionally made with steak, potatoes, onion and rutabaga filling in a pastry-like shell as a convenient lunch for miners. 

The Grill on Mill

350 S. Mill Ave., Tempe

Anyone who craves the taste of some barbecue should try out The Grill on Mill, which offers grilled meals and sports television. This restaurant makes great use of its space, creating an open and bright area to enjoy a meal and watch the game. Inside it offers a full bar, but if someone would rather take a seat outside there is also a large patio.  

Reach the reporter at ndusanek@asu.edu or follow @NikkiDusanek on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×